You Tube

Michael got Kara into watching videos on You Tube.  Michael technically doesn't watch any tv, but he's on You Tube all the time.  Anyway, Kara loved watching silly little videos people would post of their puppies or kitties, or gerbils.  The thing is, since she has her own computer (Daddy's old laptop), she wanted to watch them on her own.  I didn't like that because you can accidentally see lots of nasty things on there.  (If you're not sure what I mean, all you have to do is go to google images and search for Santa.  Such an innocent thing to want a picture of and so many nasty things come up.  Yuck.)  So, I found a site that filters You Tube.  Perfect!!  All you mom's out there will love this:

youtubeforchildren.com.

They have a disclaimer on their site that reminds you that clicking on a video on their site is filtered and "safe," but once you go one click past their site, you may be in unfiltered territory.  So we taught Kara to search directly on that site every time.  She loves it!

She watches cartoons - old episodes of Winx Club (her favorite show right now) - and old road runner episodes, and donald duck shows.  Very cute.

She also loves home videos of people with their pets.  She's seen them all dozens of times - gerbils, birds, snakes, puppies, kitties, anything.  She loves them.

Kara watching someone sculpt on you tube for children


Her favorite right now is watching people sculpt, draw, paint, etc.  She has always been more artistic than me (for example:  I prefer to color - just enhance someone else's art, while she prefers to draw - produce the art from her imagination).  I love this about her and know 100% she got it from her Mamaw.  (My mom and Michael have artistic abilities too, but Vicky is so, so talented and more along the lines of where Kara's headed.)  Unfortunately, I have zero artistic ability.  Like, ZERO.  I'm the moron who looks at paintings that are so famous and amazing and says, "that's art?  I don't see it."  If it's not a beautiful landscape that looks like someone took a picture, I don't get it.  I don't understand abstract art, I don't even get Picasso.  Not impressed.  Since I'm obviously not qualified to teach her art (my abilities end after I take her to the art history museum), I'm looking for classes around here for her to take.  I was going to put her in sports, but we couldn't really pick any she was interested in, not even horse riding really.  And she can "already play" the guitar, so learning an instrument was out.  (She thinks she can and doesn't want to take actual lessons - it offends her that I even ask if she wants lessons.  lol!)  She is totally excited about taking art classes.  I figure we'll start down this road and see where it leads.  My logical, organized, engineer minded girl might end up being an artist!

Comments

Vicky said…
Yes, I definitely think Kara got a bit of arts and crafts gene. And thank you for the compliment!

When I was explaining to her how to roll her scotch tape the other day so she could stick her leaves on her paper for our craft project. I asked her if she understood what I meant. She said very nonchalantly....."oh, sure! I do this all the time!" She is so cute!