Monday, 9/17/12

I started the day bright and early counting the tithe at church.  Then my mom graciously agreed to bring Kara to church for me (instead of me picking her up at her house), so we could play at a friend's house who lives on the other side of church.  This was awesome!  Played with friends from 10 to 1, which was so much fun.  I love my friend Stephanie so much - she's nothing but a huge blessing to me - always kind and thoughtful.  And Kara plays really well with her oldest daughter (in preschool), while her baby boy just sticks with the mommies and does boy things like throw balls and fall down a lot.

Then we did an errand or two on the way home and started school around 1:45.  We didn't finish until 4:30.  Whoa.  But, that's how afternoon school goes most of the time.  It's still worth it to do the play date.  (Anyone home during the week to do a play date with us is little enough to still need naps and can't meet us in the afternoons - which means we're living in their time, not ours.  I can't wait to start hanging out with my other home school moms more often.)

I spent a lot of time preparing for this whole week of school, so today went really smoothly and we started an art/science/social studies project I saw on pinterest.  You make a bunch of circles, one bigger than the next.  On the biggest one, you write, "my planet," and you describe Earth.  Then you do your continent, your country, your state, your city, your street, your house, and your room.  It's kind of a geography thing, but artistic, and today we did Earth, and reviewed where in the solar system it is (which made it a bit science too).


I was really surprised with how much she remembered from when I taught her that this summer when we did our mock-home school day.


Here she is reading.  It's so hard to stay focused, so she asked to put her book in the cookbook stand so she could read while she laid down, rolled over, kicked her feet, and swung her arms in the air.  Dude, she's 6 and reads wonderfully.  What do I care if she's not sitting still while she does it?  :-)


Remember yesterday when I talked about "b" looks at "d"?  The same website said to hold your thumb and forefingers making circles to make "b"s and "d"s.  You'll see a b on the left and a d on your right.  She remembers it every time.  (Side note:  that's how you remember what side your bread and dessert plates go on - bread on the left, dessert on the right.  Make your "b" and "d" and you've got it every time.  Every cruise we go on I have to do that!!)


Please forgive our "afternoon hair."  That girl's head would benefit from a brushing every hour.


Here she is circling the special sounds and marking the vowels.  She's AMAZING at this.  So proud of her.

She took a spelling test today and got a 96%.  She's was a bit disappointed, but it's still an A and I'm proud of her.  (She spelled blond wrong.)

Well, tomorrow is Bible study and I'm a day behind - I gotta catch up so I'll be ready for discussion in the morning.  Kara is going to my mom's house to do a bunch of worksheets (aka seatwork) so that when we get home, school will be short and sweet....hopefully.  :-)

Michael came home and announced with a kiss that he is not very hungry and has a headache.  That will be the extent of our conversation for the evening!  Lol!  He'll be resting up for tomorrow while Kara and I have something fun for dinner - like french toast.  :-)

Happy Monday everyone!

Comments

Vicky said…
WOW! I didn't know that about the bread and desert!

Afternoon hair comes with the rolling around in the floor while reading, LOL!

Poor Michael! I'm sure he is suffering in this weather the same as I am. Glad Kara is feeling better, however! Here's hoping we all feel better soon with lots less sinus pressure!