Kitchen: Step #1

I packed my first two boxes yesterday!  I know it's going to be a HUGE job and I'm going to be sick of it soon, but right now I'm excited to be actually moving forward.  :-)  My contractor comes today to cut a few holes in the walls/ceiling so we can see what's behind them so we can get accurate measurements and have plans drawn up.  Some things were going to be in his way, so I went ahead and packed them up since I'll have to anyway.

So, here are just a few of the before pictures.  See how dark the kitchen is with it's lack of good light?  See all that light streaming in from the room next door?  (Not sure if you can see how bright the room is since the wall in my dining room is dark.)  But, that wall is coming down so all that light can come in my kitchen!



The edges of  my cabinets are fraying and splintering.  When I reach in to grab a pan or cutting board or whatever, I get splinters.  Ouch!



My countertops are fake laminate and the underneath is shredding.  It's the worst under my dishwasher where I'm constantly brushing up against it.  I have to clean the bits out of my dishwasher if they fall into it, I have to sweep when they fall on the floor, AND they give me splinters too.



The laminate floors are all scuffed and dug up.  There are holes/scrapes like this all over the place.  I can sweep and mop every day and it won't matter.  I can spent hours cleaning the floor by hand (which you know I do....sometimes) and it won't matter because it still looks dirty!  Too frustrating.  All that work for nothing.



That's just a glimpse into my current kitchen.  I'm only complaining because these are some of the many things that will be different in my new kitchen.  There will be no wall there (hopefully - today we'll see what's in it - hopefully no pipes or air ducts), I will have all new cabinetry, I will have real stone countertops, I will have hardwood floors throughout.

More to come, this is just a glimpse!

Lord, please be with us during this renovation.  Please keep everyone safe and please help it to run as smoothly as possible.  May I use my new space to Your glory!  In Jesus name, Amen.

Comments

Elisabeth said…
How long are they expecting this to take? You didn't pray for patience. You will need it! If it is anything like when we built on to the house...Lord be with you!!
Vicky said…
My suggestion.....DON'T pray for patience because the Lord WILL test it! :D I can't wait to see the new kitchen! What will you do for a dining room?
jessicaday said…
Lol! I know exactly what you mean, Mom - I've learned not to ask for it. :-) The whole process has been fairly long already (saving/planning), but the actual demo/rebuild will be about a month - maybe more like two.

The dining room will still be there, just not the wall. The new thing everyone is doing is to have as few walls in the house as possible - "Open Concept." In this case, I'd agree - that light is going to be amazing. :-)