Saturday, 9/22/12

I slept in today, which was lovely.  I used to sleep in every day, but this has been a busy week and getting up early has been the only way I could get it all done.  Anyway, Kara wandered in around 8:20, so that's when we woke up.  :-)

At 10:00, Mamaw read us a story (yes, I listen too).  :-)  It was a cute, fun poem about an Elephant.  We loved it!

Then it was time to head out shopping and my poor Kara did not want to go.  I told her she could wear her new fairy wings and she was all for it.  BUT, her good attitude had me wanting to reward her.  So, I texted Grandma and asked what she was doing to see if maybe Kara could hang out there instead.  She was free, so my sweet girl had a much better way to spend her day.

I texted my sister and we did lunch, and SHE went shopping with me instead.  Yeah, it's a win-win.  :-)

We finally hit the stores.  We ended up going to Home Depot, Lowes, a Carpet store, Roomstore, Aldi, and a mattress store.  All in like 2 or 3 hours!

Roomstore is going out of business and today is the LAST day they're open.  I'm very bummed because just about every piece of furniture in my house is from that store.  Hopefully I'm finally done with buying furniture, and it won't matter too much.  Anyway, I found these lamps for $140 each.  Aren't they pretty?

 

Not sure where exactly they're going to go, but I had to have them.  I had to have them because they were NINETY percent off and I got them for $14 a piece!!!!  :-D  (The best part, they were 80% off and I talked them into 90% off.  Something I never would have done 10 years ago.)

In Home Depot and Lowes, I didn't have too much luck with appliances, but I did find the countertops I've been looking for.  Here's the deal.  I really want marble countertops (carrara marble, to be specific) - they're so beautiful and classic.  But, they're very impractical because every drop of spaghetti sauce or wine WILL permanently stain.  And, it cracks easily.  Have you met me?  I'm super accident prone and will cry forever when I chip/crack my marble countertops within the first week they're in my house.  So, then I thought about granite, but they're a bit high maintenance too - need to be sealed, can't put hot stuff on them, etc.  So, I am going with quartz.  You can take pans right out of the oven and put them directly on the countertop.  Wow!  And it'll never stain.  Ever.  So they say.  ;-)  So, further research showed they make quartz countertops that look like marble!  That's what I want.  (Are you still with me?)  Today, I found two options:

Bianco River (same as below, just different lighting)

 Here's Bianco River again - very nice

 
I found this one too - it's even called Bianco CARRARA - yep - it looks like carrara marble too

I also took a look at some appliances.  I'm really sure what I don't want, which makes finding what I do want that much easier.  Remember, I've been doing research for 5 years.  I KNOW what I want.  :-)  For example, I know I want appliances whose handles are straight, not bowed.  See how these are straight?



Yep, I know what I want is out there.  No problem.  :-)

So, after I dropped Christina off, I picked Kara up and we came home.  She was trying to sneak a picture of me with her camera, but it was too blurry.  So, I told her we could use my camera and I took one of the two of us.  I sweat all my makeup off already, my hair is pulled back in a bun and there are frizzy's, she's wearing her pjs shirt, and her hair needs to be brushed really badly.  BUT, this is us.  Who we are at the end of the day.  And we're having fun hanging out.  :-)


Tonight we need to work on her room and work on coupons.  Now that the kitchen renovation is only just starting, I'm feeling like I have a lot of work to do.  All I can see is all I have to pack up and bring downstairs.  I'm even more glad we started school so early because we've already had one day off for the kitchen renovation, and I'm feeling like there will be several more soon!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
What you look like at the end of the day is all that matters! But, I think you are both beautiful! :)
jessicaday said…
Thanks Elisabeth! :-)
Vicky said…
I second that comment of Liz's!

I LOVE the stainless steel and black together! Is that what you are going with.....stainless and black?

I guess you will be doing your cooking in the kitchen downstairs while the reno is going on?

Oh, LOVE that countertop, too!
Vicky said…
LOL! Here I am again!

I LOVE those candlesticks, too! $14 each! WOW! What a STEAL!!! You go, girl! You are the bargain queen! :D
jessicaday said…
Thanks, Mom. :-)

I do love the title "bargain queen." That should have been the name of my coupon blog!