Control your tongue....and fingers

I've gotten really into reading blogs over the last couple of months.  I know, I know, I'm a little late.  Next thing you know, I'll be telling you about this great social network called Facebook.  lol!

My favorites are coupon related, home school related, and of course the blogs written by those I'M related too.  :-)  I read these blogs happily for a few months, gathering all kinds of neat tips and tricks and advice.  I guess it's like reading free magazines.  Anyway, recently I read through some of the comments for posts here and there and I am shocked, and I mean s-h-o-c-k-e-d at how many mean people there are out there.  I think it's totally fine to disagree with someone, and a good debate is in order now and then.  But the meanness is so nasty and unnecessary.  Especially when someone goes to a blog of a home schooler and berates them in a comment for home schooling.  Um, you're not going to change their mind, and why are you on their blog if their lifestyle offends you so much?  Same goes for couponing - why go to a huge couponing site and then call them nasty names for clipping coupons?  I've read mean comments on every single blog I've read so far, and actually every single post that has more than one comment, usually has a nasty one in there.  What's up with that?

Do people really have no self control?
Do people really think they're helping that person to learn their ways are unacceptable?
Are people just mean and judgemental?

Our sermon on Sunday was about unity and how God calls us to focus on Him and to love one another.  People may be different, and that's okay, our focus needs to be on Jesus, and not on trying to correct each other.  It's none of our business and we do NOT have the authority to judge.  Do I live this 100% of the time?  No.  But I try.  Controlling my tongue is d-i-f-f-i-c-u-l-t.

Here is the Bible verse I have posted above my kitchen sink that I read several times a day, "Don't let any evil talk come out of your mouths.  Say only what will help to build others up and meet their needs.  Then what you say will help those who listen."  Ephesians 4:29

Anyway, I wrote down this sentence my pastor said, "it's a sign of insecurity and immaturity to be divisive."  I thought that was so good.  What do you think?

Comments