Sometimes you just need two science experiments

First things first.  I know you're dying to see my greater than, less than alligator.  :-)

Here he is on his "greater than" side

 And here he is on his "less than" side, with Kara's alligator  :-)

I'm not the best artist, but I assumed you couldn't see his third and fourth leg because they were right behind the first two.  But, Kara just thinks it's weird I made a 2 legged alligator.  lol!

 Write your spelling words.  Ugh!  Write them with fun colors on the white board.  Woo hoo!

Kara doesn't even know she's doing seatwork here.  I'm working hard to keep school fun, but still super educational and even structured.  So, we're learning second grade material as a first grader.  This means some things are shortened, but at the end of the day, every subject and all the material is learned.

She is still doing very well.  She got a 97% on her math test, and a 100% on her oral math test.  We're into the 4th week - is this still review??  She's so way far ahead on math, this stuff is definitely still review - especially the money stuff.  But, new big stuff is coming and I'm excited - adding/subtracting 3 digit numbers, and even a teeny bit of multiplication!  Yes!!!  This is going to be awesome.

I'm almost ready to introduce spanish.  Still holding off because I can't decide if I should explain spanish phonics AND english phonics, or if I should just have her memorize what the words are in spanish just because I said so and not really know why.  I'm thinking we'll head down the path of the second idea.

Well, after a few days in a row of pretty intensive learning and straight forward lessons, we decided we needed to do two science experiments.  The first one I got an idea for when Kara threw ice cubes into the pool one day and said, there, that'll cool off the pool.  Uh, no.  So, today we took the temp of the pool and a cup of water that had been sitting outside.  Then we added 15 small ice cubes to each body of water and recorded what we found.  Here's the scrapbook page I did for her portfolio (I used my talented mother-in-law's kit - Water You Wading For):


The next science experiment wasn't so much an experiment as it is a cool demonstration.  I got this idea on pinterest.  You put water in a clear cup, then top it off with shaving cream.  That represents clouds.  Then you squirt blue food coloring into it and explain that when the clouds get full, it rains.  Then you wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, and the blue food coloring floats down - rain!!  Yeah, she loved it.  :-)
 

All in all, a great day in school.

Other news:
  * met a friend at Chick Fil A for lunch so the kids could play at the playground afterwards
  * giving the garage cleaning a break for a few days
  * I'm thinking Michael needs to take us to Chevy's for dinner
  * took a trip to the Dollar Tree for the shaving cream we needed - found lots of neat things including small magnetic money we can use for school - so cool!  I'll post a pic later when we use it for school.
  * Grandma got Kara a surprise at the store today:

 A calculator that prints

 
Look how long my tape is!

After "helping" me count the tithe at church, she fell in love with the calculators that print.  She wanted one, so naturally, Grandma went out and got her one.  lol!  That is her right as the Grandma.  :-)  (I'm like my mom - I'd rather buy you a present when a situation comes up, rather than try to think of something when it's your birthday.  This is my mom's birthday present for Kara since she didn't buy her one.)


Comments

Vicky said…
Just read through your last 3 blog posts and instead of commenting on each one, I'll just say, I loved it all, LOL! Especially the scrapbook page using my kit for the experiment! :D
Vicky said…
Also, I forgot to say that we will be on vacation all next week, so will have to skip a week of skyping, OK? However, we are taking our laptops (Gram and me) and we want to teach her how to Skype! So, we may be calling you anyway! :D
jessicaday said…
Thanks, Mom! I love your kits and making a portfolio is the perfect excuse to dabble in scrapbooking again. :-)
No problem on skipping next week. I hope your vacation is awesome and that you guys have safe travels. We're available to help teach her how to skype, if you'd like. :-)