Monday, 9/10

First things first - windows have been open all night, then again all day, and will be open tonight too.  Ah, bliss.  I am certainly an indoor girl, but I love that fresh air!

My friend Stephanie had a few hours to kill without her kids, so we decided to hang out for a coffee date!  :-)  The only problem is, Monday morning is my day to count the tithe.  So, I asked the lady in charge if I could come early and leave early.  Funny, when you're volunteering, they're just so happy you're there doing anything, they're happy to bend over backwards for you!  Yay!

So, after my delightful coffee in the formal living room (did I mention there were no kids?) :-) Stephanie left and I got lunch ready for Kara and I.  Turkey sandwiches all around, then it was time for school.  Somewhere in the middle there my contractor came and worked on Kara's window....again.  School went pretty well.  You know afternoon school, Kara wasn't super focused, but she did really well - there was a lot more obedience than drive.  But, now that we both know what to expect, school doesn't feel so long or tiring.  Hightlights of what she learned today:
  * cursive "f"
  * Abraham, Sarah, and Isaac's story
  * new list of spelling words
  * double digit addition
  * more fun with thermometers
  * she read several stories aloud - she loved the one about the boy who left the garden gate open and the goats got in to eat the turnips (don't want to leave you hanging - a nice bumble bee came along and got the goats running out of there), and she really likes reading rhyming poetry aloud - it makes her giggle.  :-)
  * learned how to mark words with multiple syllables, learned what accent syllable is
  * wrote a story in her writing journal
  * first day of music class:


I am totally out of my element.  (Even my music notes look more like headphones.)  The curriculum suggests singing.  So, today we sang one of my favorites.  Then, she brought out her guitar and "played" while we sang a few more times.  Pretty soon we're going to work on Christmas carols - we want to be totally ready when we carol at the nursing home with our other home school friends.


 This week we're starting Spanish.  No lesson plans for this subject, I'm winging this one.  So, we're starting with the numbers, which she's pretty comfortable with already.  I made these signs to be hung in our room, and when we do Spanish this week, she's going to put the number of stars on the sign with that number.  Good for a first day, right?

After school, I finished working on my California trip "presentation."  I'm planning to go back with my mom, Kara, and my sister in the spring, and I've been doing all sorts of research planning it all and mapping out how/where to spend/save money.  It's a lot of work, but it's SO much fun for me.  Man, I would love to be a travel agent.  Anyway, I'm going to bring this to my mom and sister and see what they think and we'll go from there.

But, getting up early, staying up late the night before, and school have me wiped out.  We ended up with tacos for dinner.  Michael wasn't impressed, but I sure was!  Very cheap ingredients, lots of veggies can be hidden in there, and it's ready in about 10 minutes.  :-)


Michael and Kara are out riding bikes and I'm watching HGTV while I post to my blog and ignore the mess in the kitchen.

And don't forget skyping with my parents, who are a half mile away!  lol!



I hope you all are enjoying the beautiful new week the Lord has given us!

Comments

Vicky said…
When do we get the video of the singing sessions? :)