Movie Recommendation


One of my favorite movies is Gone with the Wind.  Maybe you've heard of it?  ;-)  I'm not sure if you've seen it or not, but I highly recommend it.  Growing up, my Mom loved the movie, but I didn't really understand it.  It seemed boring, long, and everyone dressed and talked funny.  When I got older (I think I was in my early 20s), I gave it a try and fell in love with it.  Here's just a few reasons why:

  *  Historical Fiction:  always a favorite of mine.  Who doesn't love Titanic, Pearl Harbor, or any other movie about a huge thing that happened in history, imagining what it must have been like to be there?  Gone with the Wind was made in 1939, but took place during the Civil War.  The whole country changed with the Civil War, especially the south.  "Take a good look my dear. It's a historical moment. You can tell your grandchildren how you watched the Old South disappear one night." -- Rhett Butler

  *  Scarlett O'Hara:  "What a woman." -- Rhett Butler  Katie Scarlett O'Hara is a rich, beautiful, spoiled brat.  lol!  So, how can I love her?  We get to watch her character grow and change into a strong woman who's stubbornness helps her overcome all odds.  "You helpless? Heaven help the Yankees if they catch you."  -- Rhett Butler  "As God as my witness. As God as my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over I'll never be hungry again nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill as God as my witness I'll never be hungry again." -- Scarlett O'Hara  All while remaining true to who she is:  a rich, beautiful, spoiled brat!  lol!  "Fiddle dee dee. War, war, war. This war talk is spoiling the fun at every party this spring. I get so bored I could scream."  -- Scarlett O'Hara

  *  Vivian Leigh:  the actress who played Scarlett O'Hara.  I confess, I started reading Gone with the Wind, the book, but it just wasn't the same without watching Vivian Leigh portray her.  In real life, she lived such a troubled life (she was bipolar and ended up dieing young), but she did such an amazing job in this role.  And she's sooooo beautiful - only she with her 18 1/2 inch waist could wear those amazing gowns and those eyebrows pull off an expression like this:

  *  Rhett Butler:  a scoundrel who actually has a sweet heart - maybe the first bad boy to hit the movie screen.  He falls in love with Scarlett at first sight, even though she doesn't love him for years and years to come.  He doesn't hide who he is (a man who *ahem* loves women), but he is sweet to everyone - from his friend the prostitute to his daughter to Scarlett - the spoiled brat.  :-)  The fact that he was played by Clark Gable doesn't hurt either.  "No, I don't think I will kiss you. Although you need kissing badly. That's what wrong with you. You should be kissed, and often, by someone who knows how." -- Rhett Butler  *sigh*  Doesn't every woman want a man who isn't perfect, but wants to be for us?  And who knows we aren't perfect, but loves us just as we are?  And who kisses us often, and knows how to do it?
Scarlett O'Hara ( Vivien Leigh ):
"Don't, I shall faint."
Rhett Butler ( Clark Gable ):
"I want you to faint. This is what you were meant for. None of the fools you've ever now have kissed you like this, have they? Your Charles, your Frank. Or your stupid Ashley." 


  *  Mammy:  full of love, but doesn't put up with anything.  Isn't she the best?  She is one of the few people on the earth (along with Rhett) who actually loves Scarlett for who she is.  Ah, that is a precious thing, indeed.  "You know what trouble I's talkin' 'bout. I's talking 'bout Mr. Ashley Wilkes. He'll be comin' to Atlanta when he gets his leave, and you sittin' there waitin' for him, just like a spider. He belongs to Miss Melanie."  -- Mammy  I can hear her emphasizing the word "spider" now!  She doesn't take any guff from Scarlett, and with complete love can put Scarlett (and Rhett) in their place!  Man, she's awesome.

  *  Grief:  this is life, and I love how Scarlett handles it:  "I can't think about this now. I'll go crazy if I do. I'll think about it tomorrow."  -- Scarlett O'Hara.  Sometimes I do that!  lol!  When something is too huge, I vow not to deal with it today, to wait and think about it tomorrow.

  *  Tara:  the house where Scarlett grew up.  "Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all ... tomorrow is another day." -- Scarlett O'Hara.  That girl will overcome anything.  There's always home to go back to, and if she returns to find it in ruins with a cow running through the living room (or maybe that was Twelve Oaks), she'll build it back to what it once was, even if she has to work the land herself.  For such a shallow, selfish, brat, she'll always remember where she came from and appreciate her home - her Daddy instilled that in her.

Well, I think I know what I'll be doing this afternoon:  watching Gone with the Wind.  If you haven't seen it before, please watch it.  I'd sure love to watch it with you!  My mom and I both love it and smile and giggle as we hear the absurd things Scarlett says, we cry as the south crumbles, and we fully believe she and Rhett were made for each other and will always find their way back to each other. 
 

Comments