School, 3-20-13

Today we hit a difficult subject in Math.  I didn't have a super-duper lesson planned, I just pulled out the worksheet, showed her one example, and started asking her to do the worksheet - this is how math usually goes.

You see, Kara has an uncanny talent for counting money, which is what one of the lessons for today was about.  I have no idea where this will go in her life, but fractions, addition, subtraction, carrying the 1, borrowing, etc. all make more sense to Kara if I present it to her in terms of money.  So, today, when she hit a snag making change, I wasn't expecting it.  I pulled out the manipulatives and took the extra step to actually be a teacher.  :-) 

First I brought out the tablet.  I'm finding Kara learns better with electronics of some sort, so here we are just using the Memo app.  Nothing fancy, just typing instead of writing.

(Yes, the title says "Gobsh."  That's the noise the guys make on Minecraft.  It's her favorite word right now.)  :-)

 Here are our money manipulatives - they are magnetic and I got them from the dollar store!
  Okay, example #1:  Something costs $3.80, I pay $5.00, how much is the change?

 $1.20

 $1.20

Example #2 - Kara made this one up.  The item costs $5.80 and I pay $8.00

 
 She types it in.

 And then she uses the magnets to count it out.

 Next example

 Now type it.....even though this is turning into a distraction now....

 And count it out.  Are we learning yet?  We're certainly having fun!

 Now type it in

"Kara, put the tablet down and let's focus on the money."

 Let's count it out together.  Good job!

 Then I look at the worksheet and notice it's way easier than what we've been doing!  They break it out and all you have to do is say how many pennies, nickels, etc. to get up to the amount paid.  *sigh*  Well, she's ready for the next step now, anyway.  :-)

Here she is reading.  She loves when it's time to read.  Whether I'm reading to her (which is her real favorite) or whether she's reading aloud, she loves it.  I hope it stays this way!!!

After school, we had lunch, let the internet repair lady in to do her thing, and now it's chores time and also that time of day to think about what I'm making for dinner.  I just love these days at home, don't you?

Comments