Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda

A facebook friend of mine posted a sweet, encouraging comment for me on an article about home schooling.  I feel God confirming and re-confirming home school for us time and time again, which is so reassuring.  Being in God's will is always where I want to be, and confirmation that I am where I'm supposed to be is so great.  (Let me be clear - this isn't the way for everyone, but it is for me and I'm very happy about it.)

She went on, however, to say she wished she had done that with her son.  (He is only 13, so she still can if she really feels led to, but she may not:  not really my business.)  Anyway, while I encouraged her not to look back with regret, I thought about what my regrets were.

Of course, I have several regrets in my life in general, but as far as parenthood, my biggest regret (what I would do differently if I did it over again) is cloth diapers.  Right as Kara was potty training, I started hearing more and more about it and really felt convicted to do it.  But, she was out of diapers and I never did have any more children.  I guess it's too late now, but who knows where it'll be useful in the future?  Maybe I'll do daycare for my sister's children and she'll want to use them.  Who knows?

Another huge regret is how long it took me to realize I am the one to stand up for Kara.  When she was a baby, a toddler, and now as a little girl, I don't stand up for her enough.  She is my first priority and I am her spokesperson - I need to stand up for her more.  What she needs is more important to me than what anyone else thinks.

Those are the biggies, anyway.  So, what do I do with these?  I try not to beat myself up, I learn from them, and stay encouraging to other moms.  So far, just about everything I've experienced has taught me not to be so judgmental of others.  The more and more I'm put in different situations, the more I can totally get where someone is coming from.  Besides, the Bible is very clear on being judgmental.  I will deal with my own stuff and leave the rest to the Lord, who is the only One with any authority to judge.  :-)

Comments

Elisabeth said…
Abigail has taught me so much about being judgemental! A lot of those things I said I would never do, I find myself doing the 3rd time around!
Kattrina said…
I think you are a wonderful Mother! And we would all do thing differently in hindsight, right. We do the best we can with what we have in the moment. I don't have any regrets right now, but my son is only 6 months old - there is still plenty of time. I'm more worried about the later years!
jeday0323 said…
Liz, I totally know what you mean. There are several things (good and bad) I'm doing that I said I'd never do.
Kattrina, thank you so much! We're getting into the hard stuff now. I'm worried about passing on things that I was self conscious about to my little girl who isn't even thinking about that stuff yet. She's old enough to remember everything I say and do, so now I gotta really step up and be careful! lol!