Good stuff

Well, Chick Fil A didn't happen for dinner last night, but that's because Kara and I went to dinner with my parents.  :-)  Have I mentioned how much I love having my family inter-woven into my life so much?  Speaking of that, my dad ended up talking business with Michael afterwards and Kara and I hung out with my sister and her doggy at her friend's house for about an hour.  I mean, a day just doesn't get any better than that.  (I know you're reading this dad - I love you!  Thanks again for buying me dinner.)  :-)

The last several weeks have been interesting in our cul-de-sac.  Literally every other house is having work done - new kitchens, new roof, new fence, new windows, and you know we're doing a big renovation.  I'm so happy to see that everyone is keeping their homes looking so lovely, which will keep the value of our house (and those around us) nice and high.  The renovation on our house is not only something I want, but it's a very smart decision because selling our house would be difficult with everyone else's house in our price point looking so much better than ours.  Now, ours will be one of the most beautiful and when it comes time to sell, ours will be the first choice.  God is so good.

Today I am working on preparing for school next week.  I already have the 5 days laid out into 4 days.  I have her workbook put together, organized, labeled and color coded.  (Yes, it was my happy place.)  :-)  Now I'm trying to figure out really fun ways to teach boring subjects that are currently set up as:  read text book, answer questions.  What are we in 5th grade?  How boring.  I am trying to think of fun characters for stories, fun colors, hands on materials, worksheets, etc for these subjects that need to be taught this week:
  * Jacob's story in the Bible - working for his uncle and marrying Rachel and Leah
  * carrying the 1 in math (we learned this at the end of Kindergarten last year - the teachers sent worksheets home and I taught her using a deck of cards - maybe I'll keep using those - I have an idea using pennies and dimes....)
  * an in depth lesson on flowers and stems
  * spelling words (it's so boring to just drill them - maybe do a song or use scrabble letters?)
  * a lesson on the american flag (maybe I pre-cut out of construction paper and she glues it together to make a flag - we can hang it in our room)
  * a lesson on food groups:  bo-ring and how do we keep them all straight?
  * I need to pick an art project for the week - I'm thinking we'll make a doll - she picked it out of an art book we got from the library
  * I need to find a yard stick for one lesson - who has a yard stick??

When I should be cleaning my bathrooms, In my spare time, I am finding myself looking for home school materials for next year.  *sigh*  This year is such bliss already and we're only 7 and a half weeks in, I sure would love to do it again next year.  BUT, I want what the Lord wants - His plan is better than my plan, His thoughts are better than my thoughts, His ways are better than my ways.  (Isaiah 55:9

Okay, I'm going to work on my lesson plans a little bit more, then I'm headed downstairs to clean out some of my kitchen.  :-D  And then I'm going to make a treat for our bbq at our friend's house at 4.

Happy Saturday!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
We turned around in a cul-de-sac while yard saling today and Hannah got so excited bc it was the samee thing as Kara!!
jessicaday said…
That is so cute! I'm surprised she remembered - we don't play out front very often when she's here. What a smart kid. :)
Elisabeth said…
She remembers everything about your house! Every once in a while she will say something random about what she ate there or whatever.
jessicaday said…
Aw, I'm so glad those awesome memories stuck!