Aftermath

Fortunately, Hurricane Sandy left faster than they thought it would.  I'm sad for those further north that got hit even harder than we did, but relieved she stayed away from us.  Don't get me wrong, 7 inches of rain is intense.  60 mile per hour wind gusts that literally shake your house is intense.  But, we made it and I'm actually really proud of our little house for doing so well.  :-)

 
Here's the little bit of damage we had - one leaky window.  The other side leaked a bit more and this picture was taken today - after the rain (so it was dry-ish now).  We had maybe 1-2 cups of water come in the house.  With 7 inches of rain, I'm thinking that's not bad!  I'm hoping some caulk will fix it.

Everything was closed today, so we stayed home and skyped with friends and did school.  We had a lot of review to do, and several tests to take.  I'd say we did a day and a half's worth of work and it took us about 3 1/2 hours.  Kara got a B on her Phonics test, an A on her spelling test, and 2 A+s on her math tests.  It was hard for her to focus and get back in the school mode, but she did it!

Meanwhile, my contractor was able to make it over the bay bridge to come work today.  He brought me chick fil a for lunch, then got to work around 1.  He stayed until 8 - talk about major progress!!

 He closed up the holes in the ceiling

 Water was moved to the center of the room for the sink in my island

 This hole in the floor is for the pipes for the fridge

This was a lot of work for my poor contractor.  He had to mess with the gas lines to prepare for running a huge, long pipe to about where you see that ladder - for my new gas cooktop.


 Here's what the kitchen looks like today.  Those chairs are obviously so they wouldn't blow away yesterday.

Moving gas lines, moving water pipes, closing up the holes in the ceiling, yes, today was an exciting day.  :-)

Here's what the timeline is looking like:
this week - I go pick out flooring so my contractor can order it when the time comes, contractor does a bunch of drywall stuff and finishes gas lines
the week of the 12th - cabinets come in, call countertop people to come make a template for counters
the week of the 19th - appliances arrive, update powder room, update mudroom
the week of Thanksgiving - install floors
the last week of November - finishing touches
somewhere in early Dec - done
 

Comments