Coupon Shopping trip - 9/4

Today was the first day of this week's sales for a lot of places, so I headed out to a few stores hoping to get the deals before the shelves were clear. If you're sick of these posts already, feel free to skip them. I love looking back at what I got, so this is mostly for me. :-) Also, my challenge for myself was 60% savings for the week. (Using my credit card's reward points, I've ordered several free gift cards, which will help me out.)


This was my first CVS visit, and it was really fun. It took some planning and organization, but wait till you hear this:
Transaction 1:
Caress bar soap (6pk) $7
Caress bar soap (6pk) $7
Lever 2000 bar soap (1) $0.99 - $1 coupon = Free
Lever 2000 bar soap (1) $0.99 (wish I had another coupon!)
CVS deal: buy the above and get $5 ECB bucks (money you can spend in their store)
total due with tax: 15.94

Transaction 2:
Colgate Optic White toothpaste $3.49 - $1 coupon = $2.49
CVS deal: earn $3 ECB bucks
two pack Colgate reg toothpaste $5.79 - $1 coupon = $4.79
CVS deal: earn $1.50 ECB bucks
use $5 ECB bucks from transaction 1
total due with tax: 2.84

Transaction 3:
3 Notebooks on sale 3/$1
Hershey bar $1.19 - Free coupon = Free
Hershey air delights bar $0.99
Hair dye for a woman who shall remain nameless $7.99 - $3 coupon = $4.99
CVS deal: earn $0.99 ECB bucks (for next time!)
use $4.50 ECB bucks from transaction 2
total due with tax: 3.16

Spent 21.94, Saved 16.69. The best part? I have a gift card and used it on all this stuff so it was ALL free! :-)

Then I went to Staples. They had 1TB portable hard drives on sale for $79.99, down from $119.99. I HAD to get it. They guy who helped me find it on the shelf, the cashier, and Michael all thought that was a great deal, and I agree! And they had copy paper on sale for $0.01 and photo paper on sale for $0.01. LOVE it. I bought a cute little toy for $3 for Kara to start the Christmas stash. Spent 85.83 with tax, saved 53.96. Not bad if you ask me!

Lastly was Safeway.
String cheese on sale for $4.99. No coupons. :-(
lemonade on sale for $1 - $1 coupon = free
tub butter $2.99 - $1.50 sale - $1.00 coupon = $0.49
tub butter $2.99 - $1.50 sale - $1.00 coupon = $0.49
Spent 5.97 saved 7.00

Oh, then we went to Macaroni grill for lunch because I had a buy one get one coupon, so the total bill was like $16 (but you tip the original bill, so it was like $21), but I had a gift card, so that was free too. :-)

Total spent all day: 91.80 Total saved all day (with gift cards): 120.59
Savings percentage: 57%
(without hard drive: spent 11.81, saved 80.59, saved 87%)

Love those gift cards!!

I'm sure you stopped caring long ago, but at Safeway I got a catalina (coupon printout at the cash register) for a free shutterfly photo book at $30 value. I have till the end of the month to get it. Yes, I will, thank you very much! (Do I get to count that for today's savings?) ;-) Yeah. Addicted. :-)

Comments

Madamommy said…
Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Great job!!! CVS is awesome once you figure it out! Really, if you add the extra bucks-you got all of that for free!!! I have like 10 things of toothpaste in my drawer-we go through it quick... so I'm not hording-but it's expensive if you don't get coupons. You can get mens body wash practically for free a lot-Axe always have a BOGO coupon every few weeks... and then CVS will do a sale on it... I stock up. Good that you went on Sunday because usually after that-the couponers tear the shelves up!!! You're doing awesome!!!
jessicaday said…
Thank you so much Sheryl! Your support means a lot to me. And I love posting so I can get comments from you - compliments or tips, I love them both! :-) I wish you were still here and we could coupon together.
Madamommy said…
I know right-it would be fun to go together and share coupons for what I have and you need and what you have that I need! I miss you! I miss you. You are always so encouraging and uplifting! You really are doing a great job with the couponing. So many people just say, "well, I don't have time" or "I don't save too much." But when you really get into it-like you have you save a TON of money and over time, that adds up. You are being a good steward of the money God has given you and are doing the most with the extra time you have now that Kara is in school!!! How is school going for her btw?