Coupon Misconceptions

Some common misconceptions about coupons is that you can only buy processed food/preservative full food/box dinners with them.  While you can get those things CRAZY cheap with coupons, that's not all you can use coupons for.  There are tons of blogs out there full of people buying nothing but organic food with coupons and getting it all cheap.  (I'll look them up for you if you'd like me to.)
But let's say you have the food thing down pat and you like your system and don't want to use coupons for food.  Not a problem.  You can also use coupons for:
  • pet food
    • cat food has been free lately
    • dog food
    • dog treats
    • stuff for a litter box
  • medicine (I've gotten some crazy cheap and this week prevacid is FREE!)
    • I have claritin and allegra and other allergy medication coupons coming out of my ears
    • I have about 5 coupons now for each: bayer, asprin, advil, and other pain relievers
    • Like I said, prevacid is free and I have coupons for zegrid and prilosec
    • tums, gasX, cold medicine, halls, etc.
    • I got nyquil the other day for $3 a box (originally $9) at CVS
  • toilet paper
    • they have coupons for EVERY brand.  I can usually get it super cheap and a lot of people out there get it free.  That's cheaper than generic
  • other paper products
    • tissues
    • paper towels
    • paper plates
    • feminine products
    • magazine subscriptions
  • stuff for around the house
    • air fresheners
    • movies
    • board games
    • etc.
  • condiments and that sort of thing
    • salad dressing
    • peanut butter
    • nutella
    • Worcestershire sauce
    • ketchup
    • mayo
    • mustard
  • other toiletries
    • shampoo
    • hair coloring
    • makeup
    • saline solution for contacts
    • razors
    • toothpaste
    • toothbrushes
    • soap
    • deodorant
    • and that list goes on and on
  • not to mention all the coupons I have for restaurants
    • $4 off entree at Longhorn
    • $4 off entree at Olive Garden
    • Free appetizer at Chevys
    • $4 off entree at Red Lobster
    • Friendlys
    • McDonalds
    • Quiznos
    • Chick Fil A
    • local chinese restaurants and japanese steakhouses
    • $5 off entree at Macaroni Grill
    • and THAT list goes on and on
So, that's just a small list of things I currently have coupons for right now and am searching the sale flyers for sales for.  I just wanted people who want to do coupons but feel they can't because they don't eat things like boxed meals know there still are lots of couponing opportunities out there.
Don't get me wrong.  If you just don't want to do coupons, I don't blame you.  It takes a lot of time and math and concentration and organization.  I just so happen to have all of that right now, so it's working for me.  When any of those things go away, I will be done with coupons.  As it is, I look at Vicky's blog and see all the things she's sewing.  I think to myself, I could never do that.  Truthfully, I could do that if I learned and put the time in, I just don't want to!  Lol!
If you still want to do coupons for things that are not boxed meals (I don't blame you - those velveeta dinner mixes look disgusting and those cream of X soups are LOADED with sodium, just to name a few things that are super cheap right now), I encourage you to use it on whatever you'd like.  And if you don't want to, more power to you!  :-)  My mom clipped coupons out of necessity most of my childhood and thinks I'm NUTS for thinking this is fun.  You can sew or bake or run or read or just hang out with your kids.  Whatever your heart desires.  :-)

Comments

Madamommy said…
Don't forget-if you have coupons for those boxed dinners, but don't use them-and you can get them super cheap-buy them and give them to a local food pantry!!!
jessicaday said…
Good point, Sheryl! I bought spaghetti sauce super cheap this week, but it's not the kind we use, so church got those. :-)
Btw, I love all the pictures from the wedding. What a gorgeous family and Melody looks so happy. :-)
Vicky said…
I'd be interested in the list of organic blogs you mentioned! Off to buy a zipper for Kara's skirt! (I'm thinking the same as your mom, btw, with the coupons!) :D