Who is Your Master?

Today's sermon was on addiction.  Yes, we are all familiar with hearing about addiction to alcohol, drugs, etc.  But, in truth, we are all addicted.  To sin.  So, the question today is what are you addicted to?  What has a hold over you, has control over you, is your master?  What do you feel like you NEED?  Facebook?  Netflix?  Overeating?  Overspending to keep up with the Jones'?  Overworking? Laziness?  Dieting/exercising to look like magazine covers?  People pleasing?

I have been thinking/praying about this and asked my family to chime in.  I spend all of my spare time watching Netflix, so I'm wondering if I NEED it.  Kara suggested to give it up for a week and see how badly it hurts.  I told her I would just watch tv, so she said to give that up too.  I will see if it enslaves me, or if it is just something I enjoy.  Needless to say, I am reading more.  :-)  (Thank you Jessica for lending me some books - I am reading the Giver now.)

I KNOW Facebook had a hold on me.  Back in January, I unfollowed all of my friends and stopped posting.  For about 6 months.  Then I followed Michael's family so I could see how Tim was doing, now I still follow them because I want to see how everyone else is doing.  I still try to not post much.  It has been so great!  Just what I needed - freedom from it.

I vacillate between overeating and overspending.  I am working on that too.  (I don't spend more than we bring in, it's about where my heart is - and I know I could save more each month than I do.)

I know jealousy and being judgmental is something that has a hold on me.  I pray over them just about every day.  I need help!  God is working on me.

Control is something I crave.  Every time I pray for God to help me with being a control freak, He puts me in situations where I am out of control.  lol!  It's like praying for patience!  Painful.  Again, God is working on me.

The first three steps of celebrate recovery are what we were given as Biblical help in today's sermon.  Whether it is a substance we are addicted to or not, the root of it all is sin.  And we are all addicted to sin.  But we don't have to be trapped in our addiction.  We have a Savior who offers freedom.

1. We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviors, that our lives had become unmanageable. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.
For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. Romans 7:18 NIV
2. We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Philippians 2:13 NIV
3. We made a decision to turn our lives and our wills over to the care of God.
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your  spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1 NIV

Comments