NOT the World's Best Teacher

Today Kara got back to work after a fun week in Maryland with Ellie and Aaron.  It was HARD to think in Algebra terms.  Kara was not focused.  At all.

I assigned her two lessons because they were easy and coincided so well.  I really think it should have taken the hour we set aside for Algebra.

Nope.

Two hours later I was yelling, she was on the verge of tears, and we both felt awful.  Well, great.

I am so not built to be a public school teacher - I can't yell at other people's kids!  Maybe I wouldn't be as frustrated if it wasn't my kid.

She and I both talked about what we each did wrong and how we could do our parts better next time. We both apologized and hugged and are joking about it now.  Later in the day, she was more focused and zipped through some tough homework.

After Algebra shaming, I thought she and I needed some easy Grammar and Literature.  (These subjects become "easy" when I let her do them aloud instead of writing/typing them.  It goes so quickly!)  She worked on thinking about her research paper, pronouns, and vocabulary and short answers from Tuck Everlasting.

I left to work at the church (and was done surprisingly early - thank you Lord for giving me back the time I lost this morning!), so I went to the grocery store, came home to work on more church stuff, cooked dinner, did dishes, and did more church stuff.  :-)  The beginning of the week is always the fullest with church homework.

After dinner, Kara asked me to go for a walk with her, so we are good.  (My goal for now is to go every other day - Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.  She likes to come with me and asked for a Monday walk too.  Since it's only a quarter of a mile, I guess I am grateful for her encouragement.)

The best part about homeschool?  Tomorrow is a new day.


Comments