Spanish 3

* These curriculum posts can be a little long and wordy, so I found funny homeschool memes on Pinterest to throw in between paragraphs.  Enjoy!


We used BJU Spanish 1, then we were going to switch to Abeka for Spanish 2.  I have to be honest with you - it was so complicated!  Seriously, I could not figure out how to use the books.  Even though I owned all of the Abeka Spanish 2 books (thanks to a going out of business sale where they were $1), I ended up donating those and buying BJU Spanish 2.


So, BJU Spanish 2 has been great.  I bought the DVDs so Kara could do the subject on her own.  It was wonderfully done.  It was affordable.  Kara enjoyed it.  And it was nice for me to have her do yet another subject independently.  The only problem is it goes at a fairly slow pace.  Kara is used to me going at a faster pace.



So, I decided to take Chapter 9 back, and instead of Kara spending 10+ lessons (2+ weeks) with the DVDs, I taught it to her in 4 days.  Including the test.  As we are winding down on the school year, I plan to do Chapters 10-12 with her in the next three weeks.


All of that to say, I decided on BJU Spanish 3, without the DVDs.  (The good thing is I can always get the DVDs if I change my mind.)


Here is what I have:


They offer an Activity Manual with a teacher's guide, but for Spanish 1 and Spanish 2, we found them to be too much busy work.


Here is what two lessons looks like:


You can see the answers in my teacher's edition.






A little more history this year.


Lots of vocabulary!


This is the year that things get stepped up quite a bit.  I remember in high school getting a As in Spanish 1 and 2.  There were tons of kids in my classes because we all needed 2 years of foreign language to graduate.  Then in Spanish 3, with a much smaller class, I got a C!  It was SO MUCH HARDER.  And I'm glad it was.  So was Spanish 4 and Spanish 5.  It definitely separated the people who needed a class to graduate from someone who was serious about it.  It led to me becoming fluent, which led to me CLEPing it for college.


I could have Kara take the CLEP test now to have her get out of two years of Spanish in college, but I want her to be even more comfortable with the language.  I remember the test being so easy, and I want it to be for her too.


So, this year I want her to watch her favorite movies dubbed in Spanish with or without Spanish subtitles.  I want her to read her favorite books in Spanish.  I want the language to just "sound right."  That's what will make the test easy for her.


Honestly, I am a rule follower, box checker, type A kind of person.  I want to do every lesson and every assignment in her Spanish 3 book, but I plan to work really hard to get her to understand the language, instead of getting through the assignment.


I plan to get as many videos of her speaking Spanish as possible!  I'll make sure to share them with you.


Comments