Science for 2019

* These curriculum posts can be a little long and wordy, so I found funny homeschool memes on Pinterest to throw in between paragraphs.  Enjoy!


Science is going to be a little weird for us this year.  Last year we started Earth Science.  Kara LOVES earth science.  But, here's the thing:  everything she loves about earth science she already knows, and everything she doesn't know is boring to her.  That's the problem with turning a hobby into a job, I guess.

We have used BJU science the whole way through school, but by life science (the year before earth science), she started not liking it as much.  I thought it was the subject, but now I realize it was the curriculum.  So, halfway through BJU earth science, we pushed the pause button and switched to high school astronomy.  She is speeding through astronomy and should be done with it next month!

This works for homeschool moms too!

So, this year we are going to finish earth science.  It is an 8th grade curriculum (so it feels less official to me - it won't be going on her high school transcripts), so I will get creative about the way we do it, and I might even buy a whole new curriculum for her.  (She stuck with a whole year of life science and 9 chapters of earth science, so it's not like she is a little bored and I'm letting her give up.)

This is so true for Kara - her schedule is late and she
has never been happier!

So, here is the BJU earth science we will start with:


I have all the books/materials needed, except the actual tests.  I'm so cheap that I photocopy the test answers with post its covering the answers.  By the time I copy all of those, I may not have saved much money!  Especially since I just bought printer ink and about collapsed at the register because of sticker shock.  I think this will be the last year I do that.  :-)


Child led learning is a beautiful thing!

One section in her book looks like this.  (Each chapter has 3-5 sections.)

The previous owner highlighted this book.  We don't ever
write in our books so we can pass them on to friends.


She calls the facets "facet-nating."  She loves them.

I purposely picked a section where you can see the Biblical foundation she is getting.  Not only is it important to me that she get that Biblical foundation, it's very important to me that she learns why people who believe in evolution believe what they do, AND WHY WE DON'T.  She loves this too.


My book looks like this:



Honestly, since science is Kara's favorite, I usually just check her section review answers and review the chapter with her.  She does all the rest on her own.

Here are the lab books:





Lol!  We leave the house A LOT.

And here is the answer key to the tests:


Like I said, we used BJU with grades 3-8.  We loved grades 3-6.  All four of those years, she learned a little of every kind of science.  Once we hit 7th grade and the course focused on one thing all year (life science - which is like pre-Biology), she stopped liking it!

Bad weather days we get loads of school done.  Pretty
days are for playing and traveling.

Okay, after we finish up earth science, we plan to switch to Apologia's Physical Science (for 9th grade).


Physical Science is like pre-Chemistry and pre-Physics.  You can tell based on what they have on the inside cover of the textbook!



Kara has no idea.  Good for her!

Her textbook talks directly to her, which I think looks more interesting.

There are experiments easy enough for
her to do on her own, but I'm available
for help, of course.


These "on your own"s correspond with her
notebook.




Here is her notebook.  It basically is a big spiral notebook she can use to take notes and study with.  For Kara, who is fairly new to note-taking, I think this is less intimidating than a blank, lined spiral notebook.



These are in her book - I appreciate that
because we have to make sure she is
studying the right thing!




At the end of the chapter, there is a study guide:



And here is the one she can write on in her
notebook.

We super duper take advantage of this.
Kara does most of her school after 10pm.

Here are her tests:


Amen!  Extra time in any subject, for that
matter.  Not to mention flying through
the boring stuff she understands right away.

My teacher book has the answers she may need:





I'm excited to try Apologia, but first we have to get through earth science!  Like I said, I plan to get creative - maybe we'll read stuff from the library or watch documentaries....  It's fun to flex my teacher muscles a bit.  And not stress over making sure what we do is legit enough for a transcript.  :-)

Comments