Math for 2019

* These curriculum posts can be a little long and wordy, so I found funny homeschool memes on Pinterest to throw in between paragraphs.  Enjoy!


We decided to do high school math out of order for Kara.


Usually students do:
Algebra 1
Geometry
Algebra 2 (which includes Trigonometry)
Pre-Calculus
* This is only because students need Geometry for the SATs, which they usually take in their junior year, and doing math in this order ensures they will have learned it in time.


Kara is doing:
Algebra 1
Algebra 2
Geometry
Trigonometry (from the end of our Algebra 2 textbook)
Precalculus



Ever since we started the high school level math courses, we switched away from Teaching Textbooks and we use BJU now.  Teaching Textbooks is so great, but when they assign 25 problems for the day, 20 are review, and 5 are for the lesson for today.  That was fine while we were doing decimals and fractions, but Kara found as she got to the harder topics, she wanted 20 problems on today's lesson, and 5 that are review.


This isn't really about homeschool, but this is my Kara!


So, here is what we are using now.

I am using the older edition because this is
what I could find used (cheaper).  It really
isn't "old" - maybe 10 years old.

I went ahead and got the tests and test keys, even though they
are for the newer edition (see I'm pointing to third edition?),
and they don't match our books AT ALL.  What a
disappointment.  I tried to find the right ones everywhere
on the internet and they do not exist anymore.


We are using the second edition



Okay, so here is a sample day for us.  I read through the explanation at the beginning of the section and either remember how to do this, or it teaches me how.



We rarely even take sick days!  I just read aloud to her and
let her take breaks.


I show Kara the examples (usually she just needs examples, not an explanation - she learns like I do). So, on my white board, I work through the examples with her, making sure to pause and ask her some things to make sure she is paying attention.




By the time we are done with the examples, I turn things over to her and have her work on the exercises.  Usually she needs a little help on the A. Exercises, and by the time she is on the B. Exercises, which are harder, I have her do them alone.


It's all about the snacks!


The C. Exercises are super hard, but I like doing those with her.  I usually end the lesson teaching her the C. Exercises.  Honestly, we tend to skip the cumulative review because so much of math builds on itself!




Here is what my teacher book looks like for that section:

I love how there are always additional problems
if we need more examples.  Also there are tips
at the bottom of the page for me to use if we
need them.

Not only do I need the answers, but I need
all the steps in the margin to show me how.




Each chapter has a Matrix lesson.  I remember learning matrices in college, but surely they were introduced earlier.



Again, here is my book.  Thank goodness for my book with these because I don't remember these super well!!





Okay, so since those tests don't work for us (why would they change the chapters around so much - just to charge us extra money?), I use the review at the end of the chapter to test Kara.  My deal is, I use the review as a pre-test, not explaining how to do anything.  She needs to remember how.  I only test her on the ones she gets wrong or the ones I have to explain.  Usually she gets about 5 wrong or needed explained, so I just have her do those at the end of the review.  This process takes her about 2 or 3 days, depending on the chapter.  I see this chapter taking her 1 or 2 days.





I explained all of that because Geometry, which we will start next week, is very similar!  Here are some pics:

I just realized I didn't get the test answer key.
I may regret that!  Or maybe I'll have Kara
compete with me...

Here is a sample section:


ALL THE THEOREMS.
I'm not sure I'm ready for this.  ;-)




I loved Geometry when I was in high school, so I think this will be fun!

Such a weird question, but homeschool used to be much
more rare than it is today.  I think people didn't used to
be able to visualize what homeschool was like.

Books for just two years of math.
They're even more expensive than they look.
It's just part of the fun!

Comments