Christmas Decorations

My family doesn't care about Christmas decorations.  They don't care if they're there, they don't care when I put them up, when I put them away, and they don't want to help.  On so many levels that is lovely, but there's that other level where it's lonely.  I put them up alone, take them down alone, drag boxes up and down the stairs alone, and no one cares.  Many years I think, what's the point?  I have done less and less each year, and this year I'm not doing anything!  First of all, there isn't enough duct tape in Alabama to put this tree back in this box once I finally bust it open:


Second of all, I have about 1/4 or 1/3 of our boxes (including decorations) still packed for the next move in a few months.  So, when you add all that up, it sounds like we are decorating differently this year!  I decided to put a construction paper tree on an open wall and see if I could get Kara to do some ornaments for art class.  I envisioned her hating it, like all Christmas things, me fighting her to just do a few, and finally ending up doing the rest myself.

Well.  It turned out to be a BLAST!  Kara actually wanted to be involved and wanted to help!  Now I know why people do Christmas decorations - they have fun doing it with their families!

Oh my, it was so wonderful.  If I paused long enough, I could have put Christmas music on or something.  Or at least got Kara dressed since she would be involved and in pictures!  lol.

First we arranged the green paper.



Then I put an old box at the bottom for a trunk.

Kara got right to work on ornaments.  She said she wished
Mamaw was here to help her be creative!  She said
Mamaw would be able to make plain yellow paper and
a black pen look like it was sparkling.

I taped the pieces together and hung it up.


Then I tore one piece of yellow paper and
hung it as garland.  Kara said she wanted
it to be hung zig zag, so that's what we did!

Kara finished the rest!

Good ornaments.  :-)

I love the giant cross.  She distressed it
because "it's not like they sanded it down
before they hung Jesus on it."
I think she did a wonderful job.  She had a blast and was very proud of it!

I got to thinking - we don't celebrate Jesus dying on a cross at Christmas time, but then I remembered an evergreen in our houses has nothing to do with the manger either!  So, the cross is perfectly appropriate.  :-)

Lesson learned:  think outside of the box.  Kara asked to do this again next year.  I think the answer is YES!

Comments

Vicky said…
Tell Kara Bear I would have LOVED to help her with the ornaments! :D Great job on the tree!
jeday0323 said…
Thank you! I sure will tell her! <3