Another House Update

This morning I met with Bert and Chris and the garage door guys and picked out my garage doors.

It turns out, two other houses they were building were on a hard deadline to be completed Dec 31st, so that's why not a whole lot happened over the last few weeks.  As they said, those houses are 98% done, so now it's all hands on deck at the Day house!  I asked if they were still thinking we could be done by April-ish, to which they said definitely.  Good.  :-D

First of all, I drove up and saw them installing the front doors!!  So cool!

They are HUGE!  And I love them.

Chris is closing the doors so I can take
a picture and Bert is supervising.  :-)

They still need to be framed and stained.

Look at that pretty hardware.

Chris said I have to take a picture of
the people behind the product.  :-)
The guys are all goofballs and I love it.

Well, I hope you enjoyed those pictures because they said the plywood is going back up soon.  Gotta keep the place locked up tight - they're going to be leaving all their tools and stuff there from now on.

Look at the trim they are doing around the doors!

Master bedroom door

Michael's bathroom door

And there were electrical outlets and switches all over.  I saw the electrical team working on all of that while I was there - guys in the attic, guys at the panel box thing in the laundry room yelling "now?", guys at light switches yelling "now?".  :-)




By the way, the garage doors I picked are white with windows that mimic our transoms over the house's windows.  They also have hardware that look like this and will be painted the same brown as the house:

In fact, this is the exact door I chose and exact hardware
I chose, just with square windows.
We also talked trim while I was there.  They are going to go ahead and order what I picked:

This is a picture from pinterest that shows
trim around the doors that look like ours
with the crown molding I chose
Side note:  That wall color is pretty
much what I'm picking for the whole house.

We are still debating what the trim on the ceiling will look like in the dining room and main hallway.  We are thinking something spectacular to draw your eye up to the tall ceilings.  (The hallway is 9 feet tall and dining room is 10 feet tall.)  Chris has a few ideas for me and is going to do a few mock ups for me to see.  More on that later.

We also talked about a few things in the boat garage - we're going to do a pony wall by the stairs instead of a railing in case we put a ping pong table up there - we won't have to chase the ball down the stairs.  Also, in case it turns into a sleepover room, I can put a bed against that wall.

Oh!  Great news - that ugly door?  The one on the right in this picture - with slats.


It goes in Michael's boat garage!  It's the door to the little furnace room in there.  Sweet!  He won't notice or care that it's ugly.

I love everything about the building process.  I love seeing at least 20 guys working at the house.  I laugh when Bert announces my arrival to everyone by saying, "it's the boss!  The boss is here!"  The guys look up at me and look at him confused.  lol.  This is so much fun.

Comments

Vicky said…
WOOHOO!!! I vote for the ping pong table! Remember how much fun we had playing around the world in the house at Lake Norman?

Also, everything is looking nice! Especially the "goofball" behind the camera in the picture of the company name for the doors! :P
jeday0323 said…
Ooo, I DO remember that! The room upstairs is big enough for us all to play too! You're full of good ideas.