Sunday, August 9th

The day started out on a pretty good note.  Getting ready to try out a new church was a little stressful - Kara is getting ready on her own upstairs while I'm downstairs.  If you have a 9 year old, you probably think she should do this on her own without hiccups, however, she needed me to help her pick out a dress (which she hates) that matched shorts for underneath it.  Add to it that we just moved and she doesn't know where anything is, that left me shouting at her up the stairs a few times.  But, we made it, and with time to spare.

Church was great.  The music felt a lot like our old church.  The people were SUPER nice and friendly.  They wanted to introduce us to everyone, including the pastor right away.  The sermon was preached by the connections pastor, not the lead pastor, so it was a little short and a little generic.  But anyone teaching anything out of the Bible is always a good word and I enjoyed it.  I'm looking forward to hearing the lead pastor preach.  The good news is Kara loved it.  I've said this before and I'll say it again.  Michael and I are saved - we are interested in finding a church where Kara feels at home and where she can grow and thrive in Christ.  Afterwards we met another mom who homeschools and she invited us to an ice cream social for their annual kick off for the robotics club.  YES!  That is so right up our alley.  Kara already writes code and would love to get involved with this.  And the social will be perfect.  Even though Kara doesn't eat ice cream.  ;-)

Church always makes us hungry, so we went straight to lunch at our already favorite mexican restaurant.

Then we came home and I made getting the tv put together my priority.  We couldn't get stuff recording on our DVR until we plugged the box into the tv.  We couldn't plug the box into the tv until we set it up on the stand.  And we couldn't set it up on the stand because I don't have screws for it.  So, I looked it up and found the screws I needed.  I went to Lowes the other day and stood in the aisle labeled screws for about 10 minutes and just gave up and picked something that looked like about the right size.  It was wrong.  They require metric screws, which Lowes doesn't carry.  So, today I went 35 minutes away to Scottsboro to the nearest Home Depot.  I saw gorgeous lake and mountain views all the way up.

I'm not sure if you can see in these pictures, but they are the biggest lilies and lilly pads I have ever seen.  I am dying to take some time to take pictures of them with my big camera.



At home I set up the tv and got some Spongebobs recording for my sweet pea.  Here she is watching Puss in Boots.  We used to watch it all the time, but haven't seen it in a long time, so that was fun for us.


While she did that, I was in the room next to her attacking this:


Seriously?  I can't even get in there to wash dishes, never mind get food, eat, cook, etc.  The thing about kitchens is you need them.  The thing about food is you need it every day, at least three times a day.  Everyone in the house does!  *sigh*  Such a pain.  So, I decided this room really needed to be accessible, even if it wasn't set up completely.  I also thought about how working in one room and completing it is much more satisfying than doing a little bit in every room and not really feeling like you accomplished anything.  Many hours later, 21 boxes later, I was done!


BEFORE

AFTER

I still have bins and bins of stuff in the garage that I may bring in here and set up, but it's not necessary immediately.

And the main living area in the house looks really good.

Then I Skyped with my parents.

Then I Skyped with Steve and Maureen while we played bridge online.  It was so great!  I felt like we were all together playing in Maryland.  Technology is wonderful.

As we were signing off, Kara was saying she needed to talk.  Uh oh.  She proceeded to cry and sob and yell how upset she was with her friend.  Her friend ALWAYS upsets her and IT'S NOT FAIR.  Kara was overtired and I knew this and didn't want to start a whole thing.  But, I also didn't want to dismiss it.  So, we talked it out.  It turns out, she was upset her friend was unavailable to play online all week because she was away at camp.  Then, she wasn't upset about that, she was just sad that she was bored all week.  I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off, Michael has been working full time this week and playing video games all night.  She needs time with us.  I helped her see she wasn't really upset with her friend, but she was upset that she was bored.  I told her I was sorry and that Daddy and I would spend more time with her, despite the work that needs to be done, and she said she was sorry to "because it's her life and she has control over it and she should have said something."  Poor girl.  So many hormones, so many emotions, such a little girl.  I sent her to bed with extra snuggles, and a notebook and pencil to make a list of things she wanted to do with us.  And I will just DEAL with all the boxes laying around everywhere.  I bet I'll survive just fine.

Comments