Kind of Offensive

We have all seen those posts - on Facebook, on Pinterest, all over the place.  Something about how you don't need a clean house to still be a good mom.  Something about how we should excuse the mess because creative minds are at work.  While I agree with those, I started to feel bad because I enjoy a clean house - does that mean I'm not a good mom or not creative?  No, it means I enjoy cleaning up afterwards.  This one in particular bothered me:


I don't have sticky floors.

I don't have dirty ovens.

Am I not a good mom?

I DO have a happy kid.

Can't I be a good mom and play with my kid and teach her to clean up after herself when we're done? Teach her that her actions (playing) have consequences (a mess) and that she is responsible for those consequences?

Can't I be a good mom and teach my child to entertain herself while I do chores beyond her capabilities?  Teach her that I am not available to entertain her 24/7 and she needs to go play while her mom works on her own responsibilities?

Can't I be a good mom and teach my daughter that we all live in this house, we all make a mess, and we all need to chip in?  And prepare her to keep her own house when she grows up?

Can't we be creative and have fun and make amazing memories and then clean up?

If cleaning isn't a priority to you, then don't clean.  My husband and I enjoy a clean, tidy house, and now my daughter does, so we do.  Don't hide behind spending all your time being super mom as an excuse for not cleaning because you don't want to.

Listen, I'm not crying over this or anything, just kind of annoyed.  These are starting to bug me.

I AM a good mom.  I have clean floors.  I have clean ovens.  And my kid is happy.  And so am I.  And so is my husband.

Comments

Vicky said…
I have not taken these in the way you did. I have always thought they meant you can be a good mom with happy kids even if you have sticky floors and a dirty oven.
jeday0323 said…
That's what I thought at first, but that one I reposted seemed a little more than that.

Btw, I definitely think you can be a good mom with happy kids even if you have sticky floors and a dirty oven! I think a clean house has nothing to do with motherhood. :-)