Happily Planning

As my big vacation is approaching, I'm preparing for a trip the only way that works for me.  Packing in stages, cleaning like crazy, and crossing things off my lists.  Last weekend when I went on my retreat with the church, I didn't do this - I made no lists, I didn't think about it ahead of time, I packed like Michael does (like most normal people do) - I put things in my bag the day I left.  The thing is, I forgot a few key things.  And it bothered me.  Well, it wasn't as catastrophic as my crazy brain could have made it, but that's the beauty of xanax.

So, here's my plan:
  * This past week, run errands:  return library books, stock freezer with food for Michael, etc.
  * Yesterday, go through all the toys/movies/candy I've been collecting and pack it up for Kara.  (It wasn't that much, actually.  I have two separate bags - one for California, and one for Washington.)  I also dug through my purse, threw stuff away, put stuff away, and repacked what I'll need into a smaller travel purse.  And finally, I put together most everything in my bag of toiletries.
  * Today, pack stuff for the cars and airplane (we're flying out to the west coast, but will be driving a lot while we're out there).  One of my ideas I got from pinterest - a car sick travel kit - a small bucket with bags to line it, dramamine, tums, etc.  I will also be organizing my music on my mp3 player, downloading movies onto the tablet, and packing other movies for us all to watch on Kara's computer.  (And packing all of those electronics with all the chargers they need.)  I'm getting off easy because Kara doesn't want to do anything while we travel but play minecraft.  That means just packing her computer, then I'm done!  Just in case the battery doesn't last on the plane, which it won't, I'm going to have a small bag of backup toys/notebooks.
  I'm also going to decide exactly what to wear, set it aside so I don't wear it and it won't get stuck in the laundry, and wash everything.
  * Tomorrow, Kara will be at my mom's and Michael has to work, so I'll be cleaning the house.  (Happy Mother's Day to me!)  Michael will still be home and I want to leave the house freshly vacuumed, his toilet freshly cleaned, and all dishes done.  Not to mention all laundry cleaned for him.  He is very good at keeping something clean once it's clean.

After that, we have a few days before we go and I'll be taking Kara to one last pottery class and one last horse riding lesson.  We won't be doing play dates though.  Starting today (except for church tomorrow), we're going to be on germ lock-down.  Way too many vacations I paid a fortune for and planned for months and looked forward to have been ruined by Kara barfing the whole time.  I don't want that to happen again!  So, I'm going to start drinking airborne (which I happen to find delicious) every day.  "Studies show" it's not been proven to work, but every single time it does work for me, so there you go.  In the end, it's just vitamins and doesn't hurt, even if one time it doesn't work.

This is what works for me.  A little bit each day and I don't stress.  (AND, all this planning has me in heaven.  The only thing better would be organizing a messy house.  Ahhhh, therapeutic.)  I also know the whole time I'm gone that I'm coming home to a clean house and after being jet lagged, I'll be able to sleep and do laundry and that's it.  :-)

Comments

Elisabeth said…
Every time we go somewhere, I'm so annoyed by how much work is really involved that has nothing to do with the actual trip! But it really is worth it to come home to a tidy house.
jeday0323 said…
I agree Liz!
Things weren't like this before I had Kara - I packed my clothes and makeup and was good to go. Now I have a lot to pack. And the cleaning - whoa. Our house was spotless before. But having her here and traveling with her is so much more fun!!!