Tuesday, Aug 21st

What a great day!!  First of all, cursive is fun - YAY!  I went with the first grade curriculum combined with using markers for letters.  I left her with her Seatwork (independent worksheet time), with a cursive worksheet, math worksheet, two english worksheets, and a picture to draw.  (She has 45 minutes to complete it - which means it's time for mommy's shower and chores.)  I came back 25 minutes later and she was still working on cursive - but for fun this time!!  I actually had to ask her to stop so she could get her other work done.  Wow, what a difference.  Here's a girl who loves cursive:


And here's the pretty work she did - with extra writing!  (She only needed to write 5 of each on the line.)


Right after seatwork we read our poem and headed outside for a walk to the playground during break time.  It was a little warm by then (11:00), but still pretty nice, especially for August.  Here we are at the playground.

The swings - her favorite

I used the fan Kara made me - it did the job!

 Chillin'

 Isn't she pretty?

Pose

Dinosaur Whisperer

Duck and Rat came with us to the playground - she made them out of construction paper, yarn, and tape.  She carries them like babies and tells them she loves them.

Ah, the glory of summer - all the lush green is so beautiful!

 Lovely trees blooming with flowers

Acorns!

Wow, so pretty

 A little yellow leaf to remind us September is next month

Gorgeous

We even saw evidence of a mole at the playground and we followed the trail he dug to either end.  Then we talked about how and why they do that.  Pretty nice lesson!

Back to school after lunch.  She's still doing very well, but remember the beginning of school is always review.

Here she is doing timed math.  I got this idea on pinterest - putting flash cards in a dollar store photo album so we can use a dry erase marker.  (See the marker lid laying on the table with a blue pom-pom glued to it?  Another pinterest idea - the pom-pom is an eraser.  It works great!)  The dry erase marker part worked well, but since it was timed, she flipped pages while the current page was still wet and she smudged.  Oh well, I'll tweak this project because she did REALLY well.  Tomorrow she has to try to beat today's time.  If she's anything like her father, competing against herself is the best way to motivate her.  :-)


Well, it's 2:00 and we're done already.  We did a complete day of school, took 1 1/2 hours for a walk, playground visit, and lunch.  And we didn't start until 9:30.  Ah, so nice.

P.S.  Kara said today that she wants to do homeschool for second grade and third grade.  Eep!  I will do whatever the Lord leads us to do, but hearing her love it sure warms my heart!!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
You are making me wish I had given homeschool a try this year. I'm kicking myself for quitting before I even started. :( I just keep reminding myself I have 3 kids and it wouldn't be as fun as it looks on your blog!
jessicaday said…
I thought you didn't homeschool because Brad said no?? (If you're feeling led to do it, maybe you should look into it more - it's easy to pop them in and out of school.)
And, there are awesome parts, but already there are frustrating parts. And yes, having only her to focus on all day makes it WAY easier. I read blogs by these women with 10 children - ages 17 to newborn and they homeschool all of them. I don't know how they do it!!!!!
Vicky said…
I don't know how women with 10 kids do ANYTHING!!! :D I love reading about your day! And, I'm sure that Michael's self-motivation is part of Kara! :D That's a good thing! :D