Operation CURSIVE-IS-FUN is a success!!!

Today was full of good stuff!  First we went to the doctor for her 6 year old checkup.  She's 47 pounds (we went one day after a big lunch and she was 49 pounds), and 48 inches tall.  That's 90th percentile for height (like she's been most of her life - she was off the charts for the first three years and is just now creeping downward).  Her weight is 75th percentile (which is what it's been all of her life).  They say progressing on your own growth chart percentiles is what matters most.  A big jump in either direction is a red flag.  She did her first eye exam (which she did wonderfully on, whew!), and it was the first time she had to change into a paper gown.

Why don't I look that cute in a paper gown?

Ah, my poor girl did not like it and all her little squirming ripped both shoulders!  It fell to the ground and the sweet doctor took pity on her and said, you know what, we're done with the part we needed the gown for - go ahead and put your clothes back on now.  Lol!  Everything else looked good.  The doctor asked her to draw a picture of a person, write her numbers 1-10, and say her numbers 1-10.  I bit my tongue - I wanted to brag and say just how smart she was!  The doctor also tested a bunch of different things that Kara just thought were funny - squat like this - walk on your heels - walk on your tippy toes.  Then she took a look at her spine, which is a-okay.  Praise God for a healthy daughter!!!!!

You know what I thought of as we drove away?  Man, if she's 90th percentile in height and all she eats is peanut butter and apples, imagine what she could do with meat and veggies!!

We had lunch at my mom's house.  Oh, she threw together steak empanadas from scratch, no big deal.  Whoa!  So, so delicious.  I had to stop eating when it hurt - I wanted to keep going.  They were a-ma-zing.

Then it was home for school.  We were on the ball today.  3 hours straight with no break - we were machines.

 Here we are learning a new letter.  Kara is amazing at lower case s's, just so you know.

 On the fly, she wanted to add extra letters to connect the s's to.  Oh yeah, she's getting into it now.

Now we need orange chalk, because colored chalk is so cool.

 Orange chalk, no lines, it's getting crazy up in here!

 This is a girl who now LOVES cursive.  Yay!

 Man, we're just cracking jokes, left and right!

 So proud of her work.  :-)

 Kara, who's the best at s's?  "I am."  :-)

Next was math.  My oh my do we all love math in this house.  We do math all day long with everything we do because it is so much fun.  Seriously.  We're nerds.  Here's a new topic I taught on the fly with a dominoes game I made up...on the fly.  God must have inspired me because she got the biggest kick out of this game.

First we got on the floor and played with colored dominoes.  This is fun already.  Then we sat next to the dry erase board and used different colored markers.  Oh yeah.  Right now we're reviewing doubles.  (Ex. 4 + 4 = 8.)  We are adding numbers from one side of the domino to the other to make addition sentences.  Next we did double plus ones, which are what you think they are (Ex. 4 + 5 = 9).  I didn't post a picture because, well, I'm surprised you're still reading now.  ;-)


So pretty all in a row.  I had to get one with her hand in there because it's IDENTICAL to her father's hands.  Next we're going to talk about subtraction.  The way we do this is count the total dots on the whole domino, (8, in this case), then I hold my hand over one side and let her see the other.  She has to subtract the number she sees from the total I told her.  (Are we having fun yet?)  In this case, that would be 8 - 3.  She can tell what's hidden behind my hand because she does the subtraction on the board.  8 - 3 = 5, so she can tell 5 is what's hidden.


Here I am showing you the answer:

 Then I showed her.  Can you see her DELIGHT in this game??

Okay, let's play again.  This one's tricky.  I told her the total was 3, and then showed her 3.

So the number sentence looks like this:  3 - 3 = 0.
 She got this one right too!

We did several of these, then she needed me to do some.  :-)  We also talked about related sentences, for example, 3 - 3 = 0 is related to 3 - 0 = 3.  You are allowed to switch the subtrahend and difference, but the minuend may not move.  Aren't you so glad you joined me for this lesson today??

Kara reading aloud for me - the way she reads with emotion is so amazing.  It's as good as an adult's reading!  Well, maybe I'm biased.

Lastly was dinner at our friend's house (eating the casserole I made during seatwork:  beef pastitsio - an old favorite), and home in time to go through stuff to donate next week.  I have about 12 bags that need to go - all that space they're taking up will need to be filled with all the s-t-u-f-f on my first floor while we're renovating.

Tomorrow is Kara's first test:  it's on Phonics.  I hope she does a good job.  How can I ever mark her mistakes and make her end up with a bad grade?  I have no plans to cheat, but it will break my heart if I ever have to give her a D.

Just when you thought this post would never end, it finally is ending.  lol.  Nighty night!

Comments