Friday, 8/17

First of all, happy birthday to my sweet niece, Hannah, who is 8 years old today.  I love you so much, sweet girl!

Well, it was fast, but Kara already had a day where she just wasn't focused.  She didn't feel like doing school today and would have rather played all day. 

We tried having her write on the board:

 

We tried having her sit in a different chair:

 

But she just wasn't in the mood.  Sorry!  This mommy/teacher wasn't having it!  We're gonna work hard anyway.

She dilly dallied too long with her seatwork (independent time where she does worksheets), so she had to finish the rest for homework.  Here at the beginning of the year, we haven't gotten too involved in most things (she already knows how to read and we're mostly reviewing right now - math is easy/review, and we're not doing many other subjects yet), so we're working hard core on writing.  Since cursive isn't her favorite (it is growing on her, though), she's not loving all the cursive worksheets.  (Hence, the dilly dallying.)  So, I sat with her and kept up with her during the homework part of cursive.  She was lazy and doing it wrong.  So I made it fun, cracked jokes, and the best part was when she had to write "toot" 5 times on the last line.  She said, "I can't believe they want children to write this over and over!!!!"  lol!



When the cursive homework was all over she said, "you really worked me hard on this, you know."  lol!  I said, "I know, but look at your amazing results.  Aren't you glad I did?"  And she nodded yes and hugged me.  So, so great!  I LOVE that I get to have this new layer of a relationship with her (even though her lack-of-focus drove me crazy for about 4 hours today!).  She got a reward for sticking with the cursive and not giving up - she drew from the rewards bin:  "Next time we go to the grocery store, you get to pick out a treat."

Okay, that's all about homework and cursive.  Something really cool we got to do today:  story time was led by mamaw!  She lives 6 hours away, but was able to pop in for story time.  We got to hear a nice story about Pocahontas (I actually didn't know the whole story - it's fascinating).  I absolutely love skype and can't believe it's free.  This technology thing is so awesome.


Lastly, we're taking advantage of our flexible schedule already.  Monday we made a play date with the intention of bringing worksheets with us to do while we're there.  That didn't sound like fun, so we're doing Monday's day of school tomorrow (Saturday) and we're taking Monday off!  This is gonna be awesome!!

Comments

Vicky said…
So cool that you took a picture of our skyping! Can you say, "Scrapbook page?" :D I already have this week's book picked out, too.....it is about lighthouses!
Vicky said…
Forgot to ask if you could send me the picture you took of our skype time. THANKS! Love you all!