Shock Trauma - God is good!

Around 7:30 Wednesday night I got a phone call from my dear friend, Merideth. She was sobbing crying because her husband had been out on a workout bike ride and had a serious accident (the bike fell apart while he was on it and the front wheel came off and he went flying over the handle bars). He was going pretty fast since he was working out, and we're so grateful he had a helmet on, but he was seriously injured. He didn't know his own name or how old he was and he was losing short term memory - they kept having the same conversation over and over. When Merideth called me, it was to drop off her little boy so I could babysit and she was going to the hospital, but I didn't fully understand what happened and it sounded like he was hit by a car or something, so I didn't want her going to the hospital by herself (I brought my Bible with me in case he died!), so I decided to drive her there and watch her little boy in the waiting room while I sat with her. It turns out they were going to a hospital in the city, where she had never been and would have had a hard time finding through her tears, and it's somewhere I'd been many times with my sister and her ankle problems!! I drove straight to the parking garage and helped her walk right in. We got there at 8:22 and she was able to go up by 9. We found out by 9:30 that he would be okay, he ended up with a severe concussion and a separated shoulder. OUCH! He was in CRAZY pain, and will be for a long time, but it's looking like he won't need surgery, which is such a blessing. Soon after that, another man came in right next to him and was in such serious condition, it took every doctor working on him, and he didn't even end up making it. :-( But because of that poor man passing, there was no one available to release Merideth's husband, so we didn't end up leaving until 1am. Her little boy finally fell asleep on me around 12:45 - of course! I just can't believe how good he was - it had to be God, it was unnatural, or should I say, supernatural! Let's just say, sitting in a hospital that late at night in the city was not so fabulous. Once it turned about 10 or so, lots of drunk people started coming in, high people, people waiting for gun shot wound vicitims, waiting for people who were victims of beatings.......God kept us safe. I was closing my eyes repeating, "find a happy place, find a happy place." Going to the high school I did, I know how fast people in those conditions can break out into fights and bad, bad things can happen, even to people who are just sitting nearby.

So, God did AMAZING things that night, but here are just a few that I saw:
* Merideth's husband remembered his cell phone that day to call her
* He was on a busy trail so someone saw what happened and could talk to her while he was blacking out over and over again and describe where they were so she could help him
* I live so close to her and to where he was in an accident so I could help
* I have a great husband who took care of Kara while I left to go help
* I have a great life and don't have to work so I had no obligations and was able to drop everything and go
* I knew the way to the hospital (and parking, which is just as hard to find in the city)
* We live only 20 minutes from Baltimore
* His injuries weren't life threatening and he's going to be okay - not only did he leave that night, he walked to the car on his own!
* Merideth's little boy was an angel
* We were safe around scary people (no one started fights or anything and there was a lot of security)

The list goes on and on. Praise God - You are amazing and merciful and we are so grateful! We love you, sweet Healer!

Comments

Anonymous said…
How awful!! And scary! And you're right, it was God working it all out! So glad you were able to be there for your friend.
Vicky said…
You were used of God!