Wednesday, Apr 21

Kara and I started the day by taking care of her boo boo. She has yet another abscess. Her pediatrician says "she will probably just always have them the rest of her life." When I asked why and told him no one in our families have them he said, "You're lucky." So, we are getting a second opinion at a dermatologist. Anyway, today was the day it was ready to be......drained. So, I let her soak in a warm tub, took care of it, and gave her a lolly pop for being so brave. She already feels so much better!

After getting ready, we went to my friend's house for the day. I got to visit with the mommies while Kara played with the kids. It was a great day!

I was home in time for dinner - I made flank steak on the grill with mashed potatoes, green beans, and biscuits - one of our favorite dinners.

Then Kara went to bed and I have the whole evening to myself! Michael is in the other room working on his computer and I have food network on and a little basket of m&ms. :-)

Comments

Elisabeth said…
next time Kara gets one of those abcesses, you should take a pic of it. It sounds interesting and I'd like to see it, if you don't mind. I've seen many lanced abcesses but only on animals. I think it is good to get a second opinion. Hopefully it will still be nothing major but it never hurts to make sure!
jessicaday said…
Sure, I was considering taking pictures (and videos of me squeezing it) for the dermatologist. The amount of gunk that comes out is unreal - and it's all colors from white to yellow to green. That poor baby - no wonder it hurts so badly! :-(
Anonymous said…
Okay are these abcesses on her hiney?? Because Dylan had one as a baby that looked AWFUL and very scary! I took him to the pediatrician and she said it was a peri-rectal abcess. Long story short, he ended up having to have surgery on it when he was 2 1/2 MONTHS old!! I was a wreck!!
jessicaday said…
She has had about 4 now in the last 6 months. They're all on the back of her leg, or butt cheecks. No where near the *ahem* wiping area. They came out of nowhere, but around the same time she has these pimple things on her rear end that the doctor said is staph infection. They've done antibiotics tons of times, and it goes away while she on them, then it comes right back. Like I said, we're going to the dermatologist June 3 to figure out what this is because the pediatrician keeps telling us there's nothing more he can do.
Kattrina said…
I think a dermatologist sounds like a good idea. It's always better to get a second opinion. Abscesses can get really serious and huge. My sis had one that ended up being the size of a baseball on her lower back and required surgery and almost went septic. Very scary - the doctor told her it was hemorrhoids, which is just ridiculous since you don't get hemorrhoids on your lower back.

I wish you could show me how to make flank stead - I've always wanted to but it seems so hard, especially since it always looks raw. Plus, the charcoal grill we have it still too intimidating for me to use....
Vicky said…
Poor baby! I hate to hear she is still having problems with these! I sure pray the 2nd opinion in June will take care of finding out what the real problem is! Can't believe the pediatrician is so uncaring about it!
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you're going to a dermatologist. There's got to be something they can do.