Took Kara to the Doctor

Warning, some of this stuff is pretty gross!

My mom and I took Kara to the doctor today. She has some kind of rash, that looks more like pimples, on her rear end - on the cheeks, not the *ahem* area that needs wiped. The weird thing is it showed up about a year after she was potty trained, so it's not like she's sitting in a dirty diaper all day. The doctor thinks it's a type of staph infection, but antibiotics help it almost go away and it comes right back when the antibiotics are gone. (We've been dealing with this since October.) She also has had abscesses before - one on her belly and one on her leg. They're like huge pimples that need to have the stuff squeezed out - and it's NASTY stuff! Sorry, I told you it was gross! Not to mention it hurts her so much. Poor baby. :-(

Her doctor said some people just have it and they have it all their lives - not the staph infection, but that skin condition. I told him no one I am related to has it and he said we're lucky! We are going to try a longer term of antibiotics and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, the next step is the dermatologist. Thank goodness she's so little and isn't embarrassed yet. I hope we get this resolved soon!

Do any of you on Michael's side of the family know anyone you're related to (or any of your kids) who have it?

I hope this isn't an indication of how much she can break out when she's a teenager. I had wonderful skin as a teenager and I really hope I pass that on to her.

Comments

Elisabeth said…
I don't know any people who have the skin condition but my white rabbit had abcesses more than once, in his jaw and that's why we eventually had to put him to sleep. It just kept coming back after the antibiotic. When they would sedate him to clean it out, the junk that came out was sooo thick and like mayo! Gross!! I know that has nothing to do with Kara but I just wanted to share that. Having had bad skin my entire life, I also hope she has beautiful glowing skin like her mother. Brad has bas skin too so I'm pretty sure both my kids are gonna have it. But I want them to know I love them and God loves them just they way they are. I'm sure it will turn out fine.
jessicaday said…
Oh, I didn't mean for it to sound like her appearance and whether or not she has good skin is my major concern. I am just hoping to find a solution because they're sometimes itchy and sometimes painful. My poor girl!
Elisabeth said…
yeah, I know that's not what you meant.
jessicaday said…
:-) You're awesome, Liz! :-) I don't tell you that enough!!
Vicky said…
Nope. No one that I know of. I noticed it while she was here. There were only a couple of little pimple places and I just thought it might be from wearing the diaper during night time that was causing it. She never complained when I wiped her bottom with those flushable wet wipes, either. Hope the doc can get it taken care of, too!