Grandparents

My mom's parents loved my sister and I so much. They lived in California, and while I lived all over the world, the closest I lived to them was 3000 miles away. When they visited and when we went to their house, we made the most of it. Unfortunately, they passed away when I was just a little girl. I think we only had a handful of visits. I don't remember them very much, but there are one or two blurry memories. I mostly remember the love that emanated from them. My Grandma died when I was 7 and my sister was just 4. Then my Grandpa died a few years later. I don't think either one of them were Christians.

My dad's parents are seriously dysfunctional and not really into kids. Also, my grandfather's health has always been poor, so he never played with us much (not to mention he was addicted to painkillers and was often glassy eyed and not really there). Time with them wasn't fun and full of stories of wisdom we savored, it was more like listening to them whine about how hard their life was (because of poor choices they made - they left that part out) or bold-faced lies about what great parents they were (my dad and aunts would tell the story the way it really happened, which was nothing like he said).

So, after my sob story, I have a point. I really appreciate for Kara that she has TWO sets of awesome grandparents. I don't know what it's like to have a special relationship with grandparents - or any relationship really. My mom has been involved in Kara's life on an almost a daily occurrence since the day she was born - she was my labor coach and held one of my legs while I pushed (the nurse held the other). Michael stood near my head wishing it was the 1950s and he could be down the hall. :-) My dad has always been an AMAZING dad and he's an even better Grandpa. I spent my whole childhood constantly being told how proud of me he was, how much he loved me, and I was always smothered with hugs and kisses. Not to mention he's the best tickle monster ever! He is passing that on to Kara and it's so beautiful to see.

Michael has wonderful parents who gave him a great childhood. I had a lot of respect for them and loved them very much before Kara came along, but after she was born I had a whole new respect for them. They love my little girl so much and are GREAT grandparents. They spend every minute they have with her focused so completely on her and what she wants to do. You can tell they just savor her.

Yes, she is one blessed girl!! In fact, Thursday we leave for North Carolina (well, we'll meet in the middle in Virginia) so Kara can spend her first long weekend with her grandparents on the Day side. She will have an amazing time and I know we're starting great memories. :-)

Just today while I was doing laundry she said, "it's only 4 more days until I get to go to Mamaw's house". And I said, "actually, it's only 3 more days!" She squealed with delight and ran all around the basement giggling. She said she's going to help me pack her suitcase - she wanted to do it now, but I think we'll wait until tomorrow at least. ;-)

Comments

Elisabeth said…
it's sad to hear that you don't really have great memories with your grandparents. That is such a special relationship and a lifetime of great memories that I know I'll never forget. BUT, having not had that, I think it can also make you realize real quick how important that time Kara has with her grandparents really is. I love the verse in Psalms that says God knew our days before they ever were. I love that he had it all planned out (even the not to lovely things) before we were ever around to worry about things or have bad days or whatever! Love you Jess.
jessicaday said…
Thanks, Liz. I kind of don't miss what I never had, but you're right - I REALLY appreciate it for Kara. :-)
Vicky said…
I cannot WAIT to FINALLY pick Kara up! :) I'm glad she is so excited! We are gonna have sooooo much fun together!

I am sorry you didn't get to have a great grandparent experience, Jessica! I am sooooo thankful for the experience my kids got to share with my parents (Tim's....not so much!) That is the kind of memories I want to build for my grandkids! I'm thankful to God for the opportunity, most of all, to have a small influence on their lives!

Love you all!