School on the brain

I'm still planning for school.  I'd like to start back up again soon, living more of a year-round-school kind of life.  Of course, that leaves loads of time off built in - we could almost take a week off every month.

Today I painted a second coat of chalkboard paint on my wall.  (Of course, since I could care less if I spilled on the carpet that already has a huge stain on it, I didn't spill a drop today.)  While I had the paint out, I made a snap decision to paint a second, smaller chalkboard near Kara's desk.  I'm going to save pictures for later though, when I'm closer to being done.  :-)

Today was the home school curriculum fair.  Basically it's a giant yard sale where everyone sells their old books.  Some ladies had kids graduating and got rid of everything they'd saved over the years, and others just sold the stuff from this year.  Some sold flash cards their kids had grown out of, and some sold old chapter books.  It was soooooo awesome.  I went with 2 things on my list:  The Apologia Zoology 1 book, which is on the Flying Creatures created the Fifth day - birds and bugs.  I also was looking for a health book of some sort, preferably the 3rd grade Abeka book.  (I started pulling this info from the internet, but it ended up being so much work and a $10 book would be worth it so I wouldn't have to look it up.)  This is what I was able to find at the fair:

 I wasn't able to find the Zoology 1 book I wanted, but I did find the Zoology 2 book.  I thought $10 was an amazing deal (brand new they're $40, plus tax, plus shipping), so I went ahead and got it.

 Then I found this cool Health curriculum - hard back textbook, teacher book, assessment guide, activity book, and teaching resources - all for $5!  Whoa.  I think it's for 3rd to 6th grade.  What a good deal.

 Next, I found a dictionary for Kara.  These are $20 - $40 brand new at a book store like Barnes and Noble or Books a Million.  I asked Liz to get me one, but I haven't seen her in so long that I wanted to get this one for only $2 in addition to the one she's holding onto for me.  (Liz, if you're reading this, you can keep the one you bought me, or still bring it - I don't mind either way.)  Kara is always asking me what things mean and this huuuuge dictionary is what we've been needing!

And finally, what did I see before I left?  The 3rd grade Abeka Health book!  And it came with a workbook.  Online, the book (without the workbook) is $12.75, plus tax, plus shipping.  This combo deal was $1!  I know I bought the $5 3rd - 6th grade set already, but I just couldn't pass this up.

So, I walked out of there with books that would have been around $100, plus tax, plus shipping, for $18.  Woooooow.

Then, I came home and ordered the science book I couldn't find online.  Amazon had a used one for only $18, plus shipping, no tax, so I snapped it up.  The good news is, I asked around for the book, and most people said, oh, I have that at home but I'm never selling it - I love it too much.  Good sign!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
That dictionary looks very similar to the one I bought you for a quarter. I will probably still give it to you but I have a month to think about it. =)