Happy Birthday....

....to me!  I'm having such a fun day.  :-)

Growing up, having a birthday in late June, I used to not like how I could never bring cupcakes in to school for my birthday.  (My friend who's a teacher lets summer birthday kids bring their cupcakes in on their half birthdays - wish mine had thought of that.  But I'm not bitter.  *ahem*)  But having a summer birthday means I got to have a pool party every year.  My parents always made my birthday fun and exciting and super special.  It was MY day.  Favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.  My mom sold cakes as a 3rd job and they were phenomenal, so my birthday cakes looked professional and tasted way better than those store bought ones - mine were homemade.  I remember several birthdays having rainbow brite themes.  :-)  I also remember strawberry shortcake, Jem, and I think one year I asked for wuzzles - remember Eleroo anyone?

Now I'm a grown up and shouldn't care as much that it's my birthday.  I should be above it, or over it.  Well, nuh-uh!  I love my birthday.  My friends all assume (and rightly so) that it's an important enough reason to drop whatever they're doing and hang out with me.  I have lunch, dinner, shopping, whatever, with all my friends and family and celebrate my birthday over a time period of about a whole week.

And my mom still makes me whatever cake I want AND my favorite dinner.  :-)

Comments