School

We're still moving along with school.  Kara got a stomach bug, which had us taking a week off.  Then I got a stomach bug, which had us off another several days.  The great thing about home school is that Kara doesn't have to miss any school.  The bad thing is, public school is trucking along and we're a week and a half behind.  (I know, I know, it shouldn't matter.  I was supposed to be letting that go.  BUT, I'd really like to be done with school by the time we head out to the west coast for our big vacation this year in May.)  So, this week, while Michael is gone, Kara and I are doubling up on school.  We're actually doing two weeks worth of school this week.  That will help with one of the weeks we're behind anyway.  Somehow it's working - Kara said it doesn't feel like 2 days worth every day, she says it feels like half days every day.

We're doing really well.  Here's what we've been up to:
Bible - we're learning about when the Israelites asked Samuel for a king and Saul is rising to power
Phonics - lots of review, may/can, write/right, two/too/to, and we've gotten into creative writing.
Spelling - we're going to try two lists in one week.  We're halfway through the week and trying to finish up the first spelling list - she only got 15 out of 21 right on today's pretest, so we'll see how the real test goes tomorrow.
Poetry - we're reading The Lamplighter - being math and science girls, poetry is a little hard for us - especially because they don't talk like we do, but it's good for us both to be exposed to it.
Math - we're moving slowly but surely into multiplication, which Kara loves.  Fraction addition, consisting of just halves, which is fun.  Still working on inches and centimeters.  Adding and subtracting 4 digit numbers with carrying and borrowing.  It's all good.  And I'm proud of my girl for getting 100% on her math test today.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about our curriculum for the rest of the year.  I'm still using Abeka (which is great and has taught Kara so much this year).  Still using it partly because it has been so good to us, partly because it's familiar and very easy to use, and partly because it was CRAZY expensive and I want to get my money's worth.  Maybe it's middle of the year blah's, maybe I'm feeling encouraged to branch out a bit from Abeka, but I'm feeling like I want a change.  I'll be praying about it.

Comments