What's up with Christina's ankle

So, just in case you guys were wondering what the deal was with Christina's ankle, here is a short summary.

From age 8 or so until age 16, Christina kept spraining her ankle. We couldn't figure it out - mind you, we only had military doctors. Finally (when Christina was 15) my dad retired and we had to see civilian doctors. Their machinery was much better and they found two of her bones in her ankle that were supposed work together, were actually fused together. She was born that way. So, the sprains made a lot more sense!

She had her first surgery on her ankle at 16 to break the bones apart so they would be separate and work the way they're supposed to. They didn't heal right, and created scar tissue, which led to another surgery. It got worse and worse, and now she's dealing with bone spurs, scar tissue, nerve problems, etc. This was her seventh ankle surgery and I am not thinking it will be her last. She now has 6 screws and a plate in there so the ankle will heal the way the doctors want it to, not the way her 'naturally messed up ankle' wants to.

She could use prayers, because the more her ankle hurts, the less she wants to exercise and the more she wants to comfort herself through food. And the more she gains weight, the more her ankle hurts. It's a vicious cycle......

By the way, thanks anyway Liz for Hannah's costume offer, but I already bought Kara's costume. :-)

Comments

Elisabeth said…
It seems weird to me that military drs aren't as good as regular people drs. Usually service personnel get the best of the best. Or am I wrong about that?
p.s. no prob about the costume
jessicaday said…
LOL!! You ARE wrong about that. :-) They are paid less and treated worse. Trust me. Messed up, isn't it?
Anonymous said…
Jessica's right! Never trust a military doc!!!
I hope and pray that this will "fix" her ankle. Maybe this will be "the one" surgery that works.
jessicaday said…
I know God can do anything, but I seriously doubt this will be the last one. She'll need AT LEAST one more to get those screws and plates out.
Kattrina said…
I hope Christina gets better soon! That's gotta be really horrible, all those surgeries. Maybe she can do some non-ankle exercising - like swimming and strength training.

And although I had some bad military doctors, some of my favorite docs were also military doctors. And I haven't found amazing civilian doctors yet - and I've been to many and pay a fortune and they are all just mediocre.
Vicky said…
I don't know of ANY doctor that I just can't stay away from! :)

Sure hope this surgery works for Christina!