Fjord Cruise - Day 2

We woke up as early as possible in London.  The next day we had to get up at 7:30 and head over to the ship, so we didn't want to sleep in all day.  But, after going to sleep at 3am, our 6 hours of sleep had us up at 9 and down to breakfast by 9:30.  We were in England, which isn't known for their fabulous food, so I kept an open mind with breakfast and remembered that I still hadn't eaten my cinnamon scone from yesterday, so I had a backup.  We were in a Holiday Inn, and I'm pleased to announce the breakfast was very delightful.  Since it was right there by the airport, we paid a hefty price, so it was nice to see breakfast was very nice, coffee was delicious, and they had a chef standing there making omelets right there.

Maureen didn't make it to breakfast and we all agreed we really weren't up to a long subway trip to downtown London to sight see, but we did want to go for a nice walk.  I lived in England for 4 years when I was growing up and I remember it was never warm enough to swim, never cold enough to snow, and there was never ending rain.  Not a downpour, but a steady drizzle.  All the time.  And if the drizzle let up, it was still grey and cloudy.  All that rain makes for incredible landscapes and gardens, though.  Anyway, England was having an unusually dry and warm summer, so we went for a walk on the street where our hotel was.  I took some pictures.  (Dad and Kattrina, it should bring back some memories from England.)  :-)





Michael doesn't like to pose, so I usually just take pictures with him in them and he's none the wiser. 



Blackberries 




Double decker 

Steve and Michael were there - I have evidence.  :-) 




We were right across the street from the airport, and this baby was on display out front. 





I don't know what these were - they looked like white blueberries.  But they were pretty.


Double decker in front of our hotel 

We found this outside, across the street from our hotel, and we think it was some kind of old mile marker.  But we have no idea. 


Hold the phone!  Michael posed for me!  Isn't he cute? 





We were kind of bored after our walk (and we were super sweaty - I've never known England to be so hot!), so we relaxed in the hotel lobby and Steve read interesting articles to us from the paper while I played with my camera.

We had lunch and dinner in the hotel's restaurant, then played cards at the table when we were done.  It was SO NICE to have that restaurant there for us so we didn't have to go far.  It was also SO NICE to have that day to recover, adjust packing our suitcases, and chill.  Getting into vacation mode just relaxing and not having to be anywhere by a certain time was delicious.

Speaking of delicious:

Guess what Michael ordered for dinner?  Fish and chips!  He loves this meal anyway, and this is England's claim to culinary fame.


I think he liked it!

By then Maureen was well and we played some cards

We went to bed as early as possible and rested up for the next day.  The car would be there to pick us up at 8:30 so we wanted to be up nice and early.

Comments

Kattrina said…
Those pictures do remind me of England! I'd love to go back one day.