Lesson Plans

We finished up English and Health for the year, but we aren't stopping school.  We are going to start next year right away.  I love year round school, and this is why:  When I start in August, I stress all school year about what day we're on, how far we have to go, and it is just no way to live.  So, when we start in June, we are so far ahead all year I have zero stress.  Ahhhh.

The beginning of a new year means lots of hours planning.  It means searching through curriculums, picking and choosing what I'm going to use, and making sure I don't forget anything.  (Of course, my teaching style does not match Kara's learning style, so I have to find what will work for her.)  Fortunately I only had to do this for English and Health since we already are well into the next year for Math, Science, and History.

I realized the Health book I already bought for this next year is for third grade.  Oops!  At least it was only $5 at a curriculum fair.  So, I decided today to order Abeka's Health book.  I really liked their second grade book, and I absolutely loved the third grade book.  So, I ordered the fourth grade book today and we'll see when it gets here with the cheapest shipping option.  :-)

I could not find a perfect curriculum for English, and Kara begged me to create my own again this year, so I got to work.  First I go to the state's website that lists all the requirements for 4th grade English.  Then I go through all ELEVEN pages and highlight what we need to do.  Then I make a giant hand written list in my notebook.  All year long, I pull from that list as I make lesson plans for the week and check off each thing we do.  English covers SO MUCH, so it can get overwhelming making sure I get it all in there.  I try not to stress over it and halfway through the year just see if half of my list is checked off.  Finishing our giant third grade list felt so good, but that meant loads of work to get ready for fourth grade.  I'm finally done with my list and I spent a ton of time today setting up how fourth grade English was going to go - new Grammar book, new English teaching books, new Spelling/Vocab/Poetry book, new Reading workbook, etc.


We have our twice yearly review on Tuesday and we're so ready!

Comments