Getting Closer

Remember this post?  The Big Vacation

Well, it's finally getting closer and I am super excited.


We booked in an extra day at the beginning of the trip to sight see in London before we head over to the pier.  The good news is, if we're entirely too jet lagged or if our direct flight looses our luggage, we have this day to chill in the hotel.  If necessary.  My anxiety likes lots of back up plans and just in cases.

Of course, we lived in England when I was ages 9 through 13, so I saw plenty of London while we were there - both with my parents and on loads of field trips.  I don't have any pictures (my parents have a few) and I only half remember things, so it would be nice to see things again.  But, since I was so young, I don't know where to stay, what to see, etc.  So, I'm looking things up on Trip Advisor like any other tourist.  I sure hope the hotel we are 90% decided on is clean, quiet, and restful.  And it's close to the airport and to the city's subway system, so we should be fine.  And at least we know everyone speaks English!

Once we get on the ship, our first several stops are in Norway, which I've also seen.  I went on a business trip there years ago (I think I was 22).  We got to sight see in Oslo for a day, but the rest of the trip was mostly work, work, work.  Of course, the midnight sun is spectacular.  And we drove by fjords daily to get to work.  And I am here to say reindeer is delicious.  Like, better than beef.

So, while I've done London and Norway, there will be plenty new things on this trip and I hope plenty of relaxation.  And, I don't have pictures of London or Norway, so I'm looking forward to charging my awesome camera and getting some amazing pictures.  In the end, if none of mine are awesome, I'll borrow some from the internet (giving them their bibliography, of course!  I'm not trying to take credit) and let their pictures show the fabulous places we went.  :-)

Meanwhile, I'm trying not to let my anxiety freak me out.  I'm trying not to talk about it in front of Kara.  And I'm trying to keep the dates secret so bad guys don't rob my house.

Did she say not in front of Kara?  Yep, we're leaving Kara home for this 15 day trip.  I've never left her that long (well, most parents haven't left their kids that long) and I am trying to push bad mommy thoughts out of my head since I spend my days 24/7 with that darling girl.  (Well, 24/6 - Sundays she's at her grandparents' house.)  She will be with Grandma and if we only talk about her vacation, she will be super happy.  If I talk and talk about me leaving, going far away, and being gone for a long time, she will get anxious.  Like my kind of anxiety.  Like upset stomach, can't function, feeling awful.  :-(  Poor baby.  She has a touch of my anxiety and Michael's headaches.  That is the worst from each of us.  :-(  I feel so bad for her.  But, I'm finding not talking about me leaving keeps her right as rain, so mum's the word.

Time to think about what I'm going to pack super early so I can put it out of my mind and don't mess myself up.  I loathe anxiety.

You know what I was thinking about the other day?  The final day of the cruise.  I will wake up, on a cruise ship, next to a pier on the east coast of England.  I will travel 2 hours to London.  I will fly 8 hours and 15 minutes home.  I will go through customs (which, hopefully will take less than an hour).  I will drive the hour home from the airport.  And I will be sleeping in my own bed by that night.  Amazing!  Of course, it will be a LONG day and I will be super tired, but going from where I'll wake up that morning to my own bed that night just blows me away.

Comments