Cakes

As June is coming to an end, our busy month is almost over.  I hate that I am wishing time away, but, you've been through this with me and it's been a long road.  Suffice it to say, I'm working on it.  One last big push - today I am prepping for Kara's birthday party tomorrow, then my birthday is Saturday. Then I'll be done!  Awanas is over for the summer, horse riding instructor is having a baby, a friend I see weekly will be on vacation the whole month of July, I saw a different friend every week in June (even though we've seen each other once since Christmas) so it may be okay to take some time off, etc.  Maybe Kara had enough friend time and we can chill at home.  Alone.  I am so, so tired.  And I just want to be left alone.

But, let's switch subjects, shall we?  If Kara's birthday is July 11, why are we having a party June 25? Her very best friend will be on vacation the entire month of July and another close friend is moving July 1st.  So, we moved it!  She's thrilled.  :-)

So, she requested a wolf cake this year.  And while this is gorgeous:

(Found this on pinterest, but can't figure out who posted it originally to give credit, sorry!  Please know I did not make this.)

While that is phenomenal, it's a tad outside my ability.  While I inherited the ability to make pretty cakes from my mom, wolves are a whole new level.  (Cartoon characters are the easiest.)

Kara's second birthday 


Kara's second birthday (Nemo is harder than he looks!) 

Practicing roses 


Kara's first birthday 

Christina's wedding shower

Kara's Elephant cake (4th birthday?) 

Kara's bug party (5th birthday?) 

 

Emily's cake - 5th birthday I think (she was in charge of adding the butterflies and flowers - maybe not what I would have chosen, but it's her cake!) 

Kara's Minecraft cake last year

In the end, they take HOURS we take a picture, and then mutilate it to eat it.  So, this year I talked Kara into cupcakes with wolf figurines on top.  She is totally cool with that and they will take maybe one hour.  Much better!

So, today I'm making the cupcakes, as well as everything else on the menu so we'll be ready for the pool party tomorrow.  Here's what's on Kara's menu (she picked everything on this list):
chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting
chocolate/peanut butter sandwiches (without crust)
sweet sweet tea
cool ranch doritos
carrots and hummus
goldfish

How cute is that?  I'm adding the following:
veggie platter
fruit platter
homemade salsa
homemade guacamole

I'm considering chicken salad sandwiches for the mommies, but there will only be 3 adults besides my mom and me, so I'm thinking this may be going overboard.  Need to reel it in and keep it small.

Next time you see me, I'll be posting pictures from the party!

Comments

Unknown said…
Loved looking at the pretty cakes! You do a great job! I'm having Kayla's 16th party tonight! We stop big parties at 13, but continue to have cake (of course!) and family over. This year I told her she could havr a big 16th party (because every girl wants one!) OR she could take her bff on vacation with us this year. I really didn't know what she would pick! In the end...she chose Bailey!!! So small family party it is! I am trying to make it a little extra special though. Pics to come on facebook tonight!!! LOL. I hope Kara has an awesome party! Can't wait to see pics!