In His Image - Part 2

My sweet friend commented on my last post, which I love, with a great point.  This is a super long process and quite complicated.  I should mention this whole process didn't happen overnight.  In fact, it took over a decade, and I'm still in the process.  I really appreciate you all and I just wanted to share what's been helping me.  (And, please be patient, I think it's obvious I'm not a very good writer!  lol!)  By the way, tons of studying the Bible and a lot of therapy are what helped me get here.

Part of what helped me like myself for who I am came from appreciating the parts of me that were created "in His Image".  All I used to see in myself were flaws - my teeth were yellow and crooked, I didn't drive a super fancy car, my house wasn't amazing, my hair was frizzy, my midsection....and everywhere else.....were expanding.  (Can you hear where my focus was?  Ugh.)  BUT, there are parts about me that were created like God.  One example is my desire to do things well.  However, the part of me that is NOT from God is when I take the desire to do things well to an unhealthy level aka perfectionism.  I stress about it.  I won't do something if I can't do it perfectly.  That's not good.  (My current life lesson is moderation, but more on that tomorrow....)  I am trying to recognize the part of me that makes me who I am (the part that I take after Jesus), and the part that is sinful flesh.  Unfortunately, I am human and my flesh tends to ruin.....well everything.  But instead of working to change who I am, or wish I wasn't who I am, I am working to appreciate the part that God made on purpose, and with love, and stop putting that fleshly sinful spin on it.  I've eased up on the stress and anxiety, the more I put my trust in the Lord (and my focus on more important things), but I'm not there yet.  But, like I said, as a sinful human, I'll always need to be working on something to improve myself.  Fortunately, it's not hopeless because my sweet Jesus saved me and my salvation is secure.

Comments

Kattrina said…
I definitely find it hard not to compare myself to others and to be thankful for what I have and what God has given me. I used to be so much more concerned with everything and now I try to just relax about it all. I do so many things that I'm horrible at and now I just don't care! I used to be so embarrassed to play sports because I was horrible at them and now I could care less. I play golf and bowl and run and play tennis and I am pretty terrible at all of them. I can't even bowl a 100 or hit a tennis ball twice in a row! However, I finally realized that I'm lucky that I can even do those things (or so many other things) and rather than be so concerned about doing it perfectly I should just be happy that I can do something - and as long as I'm trying my best then I should be satisfied.

Everyone is beautiful in their own way and everyone can do some things well - but we all have a purpose in life and we can't be perfect at everything, right (how boring would that be?).

God made us the way we were meant to be!
jessicaday said…
I LOVE your comment!! I'm definitely finding myself feeling more and more like that these days too. :-)