Farm Field Trip 4-13-12

Today we went on a field trip with Kara's school.  I don't particularly enjoy field trips, but Kara likes me to go and I always love being with her.

I was assigned just Kara and one other girl for my group, which is good because I don't do well with the kids who don't listen well.  I watch the other chaperones struggle and I just know I'd be in tears in no time.  You MUST listen.  If you don't, the donkey will bite your finger off, or you will fall off the hay ride wagon, or you'll step in poop, or.....  *sigh*  Anyway, the other little girl was in my group last field trip AND she sits right behind Kara on the school bus AND she's just as smart and sweet as Kara.  She said things like, "This one time, my brover, when he was 12, he shaved off his eyebrows, he doesn't like eyebrows."  Lol.  We had a great day, but I'm exhausted!!

We were assigned a guide at the farm and went to several stations.  First, we rode the ponies.  These ponies were huge - I would have definitely considered them horses, but they said they miss the horse category by mere inches.  While they were waiting in line for that, the guide brought over teeny baby goats that were born just yesterday!  Less than 24 hours old.  They were so, so cute.  I couldn't bring myself to pet one (I'm too much of a city girl - gross, dirty), but they were super cute and one of them kept squealing for momma.

 
My beautiful girl on her pony
Baby goat less than a day old!

Then we took a hay ride down to the pond to learn about animals that live there:  geese, turtles (who are cold blooded and were sunning themselves today), salamanders, and what's the difference between a reptile and amphibian.  Then they had tubs of tadpoles and little nets next to them so the kids could fish one out and look at a tadpole up close.  They're a lot bigger than I thought they'd be!  That was really cool.


Kara on the hay ride


the pretty little pond

 
Can you see the turtles sunning themselves at the base of the rocks?

Then we took the hay ride back to the rest of the farm for a lesson in gardening.  Each kid got a dixie cup, some dirt, a bean seed, and more dirt.  They're keeping them in the classroom (thank goodness, I kill every poor plant that crosses the threshold of my house.)

Kara waiting patiently for her turn to plant

Next was more animals.  We saw ducks and a turkey, who was gobbling away, which was so cool.  Then we saw more horses, a donkey, pigs, cows, and sheep.  Then they fed lots of very hungry goats.

Petting the bunny

Baby lamb sunning himself.  He was mid chew, but so sleepy.  Reminds me of the kids that fall asleep in the high chair!  lol!

HUNGRY goats

Less than a day old and walking.  So cute - like bambi!

After that we washed hands and had lunch and recess.  There was a lot of little playground type things around, but the coolest thing was the maze.  Every 10 steps or so in the maze, you'd come across a nursery rhyme.  We saw a cute teacup (like the ones in disneyworld) from Alice in Wonderland.  We saw a big tortoise and the hare and a finish line.  We saw a little cottage "where Sleeping Beauty grew up".  And so on.  It was really cute!  And the girls loved leading the way down this path and that path.
Two girls in my group = two flowers for this mommy.  So sweet!

  
Kara walking through the path.

Kara with mother goose

We headed back after that.  The recess part was like babysitting, and not my favorite part of the day, but whatever.  Kara had fun and so did our other little girl in our group, so that's what matters.  :-D

I will load pictures tomorrow.  I rested for an hour or two after we got home, then I got right to work on Lara's oldest daughter's 5th birthday cake.  Now it's 10:30 and I'm the only one awake in the house.  Kara stayed up until 10, but Michael was asleep before 8 - he's leaving at 3:45 Saturday morning for fishing.

Well, time to get to bed for me - I still have to decorate the cake tomorrow.  Tonight I just baked it and put a coat of frosting on.  Here's a picture of Kara "helping".  *yawn*  Good night my precious blog followers!!

Comments

Vicky said…
Kara is a beautiful girl! She has the prettiest smile!
jessicaday said…
Thank you! I agree! I'm still waiting for it to be toothless. She's going to be six in July and hasn't lost a tooth yet....