Daddy Date Night





Just about once a week, at Kara's bedtime, Michael tells her the next day is going to be their day, just the two of them. She's allowed to spend the morning deciding whatever she wants to do, wherever she wants to eat out to dinner, and he has to do it. She just about always picks McDonalds, but sometimes she picks Ruby Tuesdays or Chevys. They usually hang out at Bass Pro Shops - there is so much to do there! She is allowed to take her shoes off and climb on the boats, there's a silly giant checkers set, see the fish swim, etc, etc, etc. That place is amazing. Sometimes they go to Petsmart and look at all the animals. Anyway, tonight is going to be one of those nights. Not only does it give them one-on-one time, but it gives this stay-at-home mom an evening to do chores, go out with friends, or just sit around.

My Dad did similar things with me. My Dad was always spending time with us as kids, and he made sure to spend one-on-one time with each of us. He and my sister had the sports thing in common, but he still made me special too. Not only did he take me with him when he played racquetball, play catch with me in the yard, play basketball, play cards, and all that good stuff, but every day when I would come home from school for lunch (one of the perks of living on a tiny air force base overseas), he would come home from work and make me a grilled cheese sandwich. As I grew up and went to work, we used to meet for lunch and get grilled cheese at the work's cafeteria. We would talk about my current boyfriend, college, etc. Just about everything. Come to think of it, that may be why grilled cheese is my all time favorite food.

Do you have similar experiences with your Dad? I sure hope so, the Daddy/Daughter relationship is so special and I believe it has a lot to do with how your relationship with men will be when you grow up.

Comments

Vicky said…
That second picture brot tears to my eyes! Michael was/is not a hugger, but you can sure see the delight in his eyes as he savors that hug from his daughter!
Vicky said…
His closed eyes, that is, LOL! :D
jessicaday said…
He sure loves his girl! He wasn't really into the whole baby thing when I was pregnant - didn't want to feel her move and it kind of creeped him out. However, the SECOND she was born and he saw her little lower lip quiver when she cried, he was hooked and has been the best Dad on the planet ever since. The second he would come home from work when she was a baby, he would take her and I could only get her back to feed her! :-)