Organic

In an effort to be more healthy and more natural, I've been praying about converting to organic foods. I am very disappointed with the level of hormones in meat and milk, which I believe leads to girls developing early, among other things. I switched to organic milk a while back and am feeling good about it. (By the way, if it's inconvenient, I don't worry about it, I'm just talking about the bulk of what we ingest.)

Anyway, a friend of mine talked about her desire to eat organic and mentioned a dairy farm that delivers right to a cooler on her front porch. I went and checked it out, and yes, the prices are a bit higher than the grocery store, but not bad considering it's all hormone free, pesticide free, etc. AND considering the delivery fee is under $4. Unfortunately they didn't deliver to me (I live in a different county than her), so I've been wondering what I should do as the next step.

Low and behold, months later, I just got a phone call that they kept my email and called me because they're going to be delivering to my county now! They made sure to call twice in one day to be sure they got ahold of me (they left a message first). All I have to say is, if this is any indication as to their customer service, I have a feeling I'm in for a treat! (By the way, isn't it sad that good customer service isn't the norm anymore?)

You know what? I have another friend who is very passionate about not eating meat that is treated poorly (which, let's face it, is most meat and poultry), and I think she'll love this. I have to call her.

Like I said, I'm feeling led to do it for Michael, Kara, and I, and I will be doing it for the bulk of the food we eat. We will not stop eating in restaurants that don't serve organic or anything crazy like that, I'm just looking forward to MOST of what we eat being pure meat, pure dairy, and eventually pure fruits & veggies.

(By the way, Kattrina, if you're reading this, what are the odds that the first day I see you in at least 15 years you tell me about this place and I check it out. Then the second day I see you is when they call me. Crazy!)

Comments

Vicky said…
And speaking of veggies.......I buy a 10lb. bag of potatoes at Aldi's, which takes a good while for us to go through. But, they rarely ever grow those eyes with roots on them, if you know what I mean. Tim says they treat them with something to make them not grow the eyes!
Kattrina said…
That's awesome!!! I love getting food from South Mountain Creamery and I'm so happy that they deliver to you now. I just ordered a turkey from them for Thanksgiving and can't wait to try something that's not Butterball! FYI though - their cows are grass-fed (much healthier) which changes the taste of the beef. I think it's less fatty which means that it's less "good" tasting. Not sure if your husband will notice or not, but if he does you might want to ease him into it by mixing regular beef with the grass-fed stuff. I did get some steaks from there once and was overly impressed with how yummy they tasted.
It was great seeing you and good luck with a stress-free holiday! If you want to have a present-wrapping extravaganza just let me know! Wrapping together has gotta be way more fun that doing it alone.