Time Management and How To Study

Here are my goals for homeschooling:
 * teach her God's Word so that she forever hungers for Him
 * instill a love of learning that lasts Kara's whole life
 * show her that hard work is not only admirable and honorable, but fun

Under those categories comes normal things like wanting Kara to be a productive member of society who can hold a job and pay her bills.

When she was in elementary school, it meant learning with games, keeping things fun, light, and colorful, and teaching obedience.

Now in middle school, it means beginning to turn over the reins.  She needs to have her hand held while I teach her how to manage her own schedule and study on her own.  I have to admit, I have spent the last year or so trying to teach these skills, but she wasn't ready yet.  Something I never stop learning as a mom is that Kara learns things when she is ready, whether that is before or after I think she should.  It's my job to stay flexible.

Fortunately, the last few weeks of school, she has wanted to do extra work through the week to have Friday off.  She spends her evenings doing extra work so that there is no school left to do on Friday.  It's awesome!  I'm so proud of her.  This may be a phase that ends next month, but I love how things are going right now.

As far as studying, I need to walk her through it more.  Here we are having fun with Spanish vocabulary.  We had to make silly sentences to remember the vocabulary.



Spanish grammar - on the left:  Pedro
washes himself.  on the right:  Pedro washes
it [the cat].

on the left:  Pedro looks at himself.
on the right:  Pedro looks at her.

Time for silly.  "The cat shaves Kara."

More silly.  "Shiloh brushes Daddy."

This week was parts of the body and we had silly sentences to remember neck, shoulder, leg, fingers, etc.  She did pretty well on her tests!

I'll keep you posted on the middle school goals.  We are just beginning with them!

Comments