May 5-7

Friday morning, Kara and I did school.  We tested out a possible new Math curriculum and really liked it.  We also learned how much Algebra Kara can handle before she breaks.  We also learned doing Math on the floor and on the white board is how Kara absorbs the information the best.  Okie dokie!!

Listening to her lesson.

My lesson for her.

Her turn.


Looks like my Algebra book from public
school!  Thank you, Jessica, for lending
it to us!!

Switching curriculum after two months of school makes me a little nervous.  We will start from day 1 and go from there.  Even though we are on day 40 in other subjects.  I promise to get over myself.  :-)

Friday was a rare cool day in May, and rainy as well.  I had a lot of work to do in my office (bills, church stuff, lesson plans, etc.), so I worked at my desk while Kara laid in the guest room bed and we watched Harry Potter movies.  I also made our favorite warm soup.  :-)  Productive - check.  Time with my girl - check.  Love this life - check.

My poor father-in-law is better.  And worse.  Better with meds and fluids at the hospital.  Worse with new problems cropping up the longer they let this golf ball sized tumor grow in his brain.  It's just a scary, awful thing.  We will know more after the surgery Monday.  Lord, please let it be your will to come back to himself after this!

He couldn't keep the flowers, but they
made him smile.  Mission accomplished.

I have been talking with Kara about all of this.  She is mature and intelligent.  No more talking around her or over her head.  She says it makes her sad, but she understands God is in control and nothing will happen without God allowing it.  I appreciate her heart and good answers, but I remind her it's totally cool to be super bummed too.  She says she knows.  Like I said, after Monday, we'll know more.

Saturday, I went to the grocery store and got some graduation cards for friends.  Then a couple who is getting married next weekend came to pick up some furniture I was giving away.  I told her we had someone give us (hideous) free furniture when we first got married, and I hope she does the same for a young couple when she is in her 30s.

Here is a picture of our old furniture in her new apartment.

Then I worked on more lesson plans.  School prep on the weekends has increased dramatically.  I love every minute of it, but Kara-doing-school-alone-Mondays-and-Thursdays doesn't mean less work for me.  It actually means more work.  But it's all good!!  I will be so sad when we don't have school anymore.  Maybe I will be a tutor.....

Sunday is today and so far we went to church and then to Kara's 5th grade graduation at church.  So sweet!  Hayley (the children's director) said a few words and handed out presents, then Jonathan (the youth paster) talked and let us know what the youth group is like.  So exciting!

Each kid had a table, which they decorated with pictures and accomplishments.  It was supposed to represent them.  So, I put baby pictures, a more recent picture, Warrior Cats books, Minecraft stuff, her new Helping Hand award, some of her art, the sign about being bossy, a picture of her happy when she was casting, a picture of her jumping on a horse, a picture of her homeschooling with the kitties, and the first two books she wrote.  She is such a special kid.

Kara at her table.

Kara decorated her own cookie for dessert.
Icing much?

Ms. Hayley with the 5th graders.

Kara's gift - a new Bible with an inscription from Ms. Hayley.  <3




My introverts didn't really want to go, but I'm glad I made them.  Kara doesn't have any special things like this at school, so this is it for her.  And we are so proud of her, so this was a neat way to celebrate who she is and who she will become.

This afternoon I will work on some church stuff and read my book (which is incredibly, by the way).

Tomorrow is the big day - surgery.  Please pray for Tim.  He has had this cancer for a long time and we already have had him longer than the doctors originally told us.  But we sure would selfishly love for him to stay with us longer.  And as the same Tim we know and love.  Because this is in his brain, I am nervous he won't be the same after this.

God is in control.

Comments