Furniture on the Brain

We have lived here almost a year now, and it's ALMOST time to get new furniture.  I am waiting to see how tax returns shake out, then I can pull the trigger.  In the mean time, I am on pinterest looking to see what I like.  First of all, I want to see what pieces interest me.  I'm also looking at colors.  So far, I am loving light colored neutrals with pops of greenery for color.  I also like light blue and light green accents that remind me of the water.  Very calm and serene and classic.

Today I rearranged my current furniture to see what we have space for and to look into what pieces fit.  My visual goal is light neutrals, clean lines, rustic like a cabin in the woods, yet light and clean like a lake house.  My practical/functional goals are:  as many chairs as possible.  People feel the most comfortable in chairs, sitting alone, than they do sitting on couches with other people.  Oh, and I'd like all of those chairs to be clean lined, yet recline.  Like our current green ones.

Here is a furniture arrangement I came up with today:




Basic differences:  pull furniture out - it doesn't all have to fit onto the rug.  Although the front legs must be on the rug.  Every design show I've ever watched says that one.  I also added two chairs that sit with their back to the fireplace.  (I am using dining room chairs as place holders.)  I'd like these to be smaller than the ones that go where the green ones are currently - that way they don't block too much of the fireplace.  I think the couches may be too far apart right now - I want there to be enough space for two chairs to go around them, yet close enough to still feel conversational.  I think I'll do a double coffee table deal to make it more of a square shape.  We will see!  I am going to see how the family likes living with this for a little while.

I got a little carried away and am trying something different in the room next to the kitchen:


I like the idea of setting up another conversation area.  No one was using the couch out there - even me.  We will see how this goes.

I don't think I can do any other decorating (hang something on the walls, lamps, pillows, tables, etc.) until I figure out the basic furniture pieces first.  In the mean time, I am saving discover card points for Hobby Lobby gift cards and Home Goods gift cards.  I still like getting a good deal!

Comments

Unknown said…
Ohhh two of my favorite stores!!!!! I'm interested to see the final picture!