Science

Kara is about to finish her sixth grade science class.  This is the last year where she learns a little bit of everything.  Starting in seventh grade, she will study one major topic the whole year.

Here is the thing.  Science is Kara's favorite subject.  She seeks out more science information on her own on tv.  She and Michael bond every night over chips and sweet tea and learn more about science.  This love of learning makes my teacher heart grow three sizes.  The best advice I ever got as I was starting homeschool is to make sure Kara always has a love of learning.

All of that said, I'm wondering if we should take science courses she is interested in, starting in seventh grade.  The state only cares that she takes science every year (but they don't care which subtopic of science).  In high school one of those sciences must be Biology.  Michael says he wants her to have Physics in high school - all of that math will be good for her, assuming she ends up somewhere in math/computers like us.

As we get ready to start life science, I'm wondering if we should skip to eighth grade science, which will be earth science, which Kara LOVES.  (I do too.  She is her mother's daughter.)

So, in high school I'm planning on:
 * Biology
 * Physics
 * Astronomy (Kara LOVES)
 * Geology (Kara LOVES)

So, here's my question - does Kara NEED life science?  Is it a prerequisite for biology?  I don't want to teach her she doesn't have to learn things that are boring, but I want to encourage her love of science.

I did a little research and couldn't find much.  Several places suggested that public school middle school (7th and 8th especially) are just reiterations of 5th and 6th grade, with a little extra work thrown in.  They suggest that there is so much going on developmentally, socially, etc, that they don't really push academics.  I wonder, if I get to tailor Kara's school to Kara, can we skip 7th grade science because it's boring?  If I promise to slow school down if she needs it emotionally, should I push her along where I know she can handle it?

I'm so torn.  Lord, please lead me.

UPDATE:  I talked with Tony who knows science and who knows Kara.  He says to keep life science and maybe switch it up - earth science in seventh grade and life science in eighth grade.  Good idea!  Still praying...

SECOND UPDATE:  After all of that, I'm feeling like we should do life science this year.  Lol!  Are you glad you went along with me on this little saga?  This is going on in my brain 100% of the time as a homeschool teacher.  :-)

Comments

Unknown said…
My opinion...she probably doesn't need it. There seems to be a wide range of what is taught where in the subject of science and I don't think it's a big deal at this point. I just asked Kayla what she remembers from middle school science and she said that 8th grade they did a lot of labs and dissecting things. She doesn't remember anything from sixth grade! LOL
jeday0323 said…
Lol! That is scary that she doesn't remember anything! Her teacher could have something to do with that too.

Yes, 8th and 9th grade will be super fun. Volcanoes, always cool. Dissecting frogs - a right of passage.

7th grade life science - cells, microorganisms. Hmmm. Gotta pretend it's super fun and interesting too! lol. I think I need to push my teacher skills to it's limits and have fun with this one.