Look what came in the mail!

Home school books!


The first picture is the child's kit, and the second picture is my teacher's kit.  I've been looking through all the books and checking out lesson plans to see what our days will be like.  I think if we did home school for kindergarten, we would have been done in an hour, but home school for first grade is going to take a bit longer.  And she's very advanced in math and reading (there's very little in this curriculum she doesn't know), so we'll be speeding through those subjects at her own pace.  Writing, however, she's very bad at.  Her little brain is moving so fast, she doesn't take the time to write clearly, or even correctly.  Now, she is 5, so she won't be able to write like I can, but she should be able to focus on writing more than she does.  There are clear Biblical reasons (which the curriculum points out) for writing clearly and doing good work.  I agree that it's very important to focus on this while she's in first grade and really take our time to make sure she gets it right.  Also, I firmly believe in working hard on our Bible lesson (which I hate to admit we really don't do at home right now), and the curriculum's Bible memory verses.  I think memorizing 6 verses in 6 weeks will be difficult enough without trying to do it in 3 weeks (which is how we're going to do math and reading).  I'm seriously considering just buying the second grade math and reading stuff now, but I really want to be thorough and make sure we don't gloss over anything that she'll need in the future.  She must understand these basics.  I've never prayed so hard over her education!  What a blessing!

Now I have to wait all summer to start!  :-)  (Well, I guess I don't HAVE to, but I'm not sure she'll be ready to get started for a while.)

Lol!  I still can't believe I'm going to do this!  I always said I'd never home school.  Praise God for moving outside of my comfort zone for what is best for my family!

Comments

Elisabeth said…
I know a lot of homeschool kids who are farther along in one subject than others and I think that is one of the best things about homeschooling. You will be able to do harder things in some subjects and easier things in subjects that she needs more help with. She doesn't have to be strictly first grade in everything.
jessicaday said…
Oh, I didn't know that. That is so cool.
Liz, your support means more to me than you know!
Anonymous said…
I agree about the pace of the subjects. Sometimes in public school you get that, because Dylan has had teachers that realize his potential and have given he and a few others "different" things to do because they "can". But not all teachers are good enough or care enough to do that. We have been blessed in that dept!!
jessicaday said…
Stephanie, that is such a blessing!
Madamommy said…
Girl I could have given u my entire alpha and omega homeschool curriculim-grade 1... I didn't even think about it!
jessicaday said…
Aw, that would have been great, Sheryl! Do you happen to have any second grade stuff you're not using?