Sunday unplugged, counter change, faucets, sixth grade, Spanish, and horse lessons

Life sure is crazy these days!  But one day at a time, and it's all good.

Saturday I packed a bunch of boxes and went to the grocery store.

Sunday I went to church and did laundry.  I have felt led to set a day aside for family time - no electronics.  We can't do a whole day without electronics yet, so we are building up!  Sunday, Unplugged began that day and Michael (who doesn't have to join us, but decided to on his own) took us hiking where he went turkey hunting the other day.  It was great family time and we saw tons of animal prints and tracked them.  We had a cold snap - the sun was warm but the breeze was chilly.  I think it was about 57 degrees.  It was a great day for a hike/walk!














It was too cold for this guy to do anything.  He just
sat on the ground not able to really move.

This bee/wasp was making a nest in the ground.
Ah, the bad side of it getting warmer - pests.








Monday we started sixth grade.  Kara is doing splendidly!  She genuinely enjoys reading, math, science, spanish, and history.  Grammar is tolerable because the sentences they use in their lessons are super interesting to her - details about animals.  Spelling is the same as we've always done, and I think she likes Bible too.  Wow!  This has been a good week.


She has math homework now, which I grade, Science quizzes and tests, which I grade, and a bit more.  We are working our way up.  She is doing great!  Then I went to pick out carpet and start shopping for faucets.  Michael and I had an appt with the lawyer at 5:00, so we went out to dinner after - our favorite bbq place.

Tuesday we did more sixth grade.  It's a really full schedule and we have to go past lunch, but it's working out well.  Kara is REALLY into her scooter these days, so she likes to scoot (like recess) for 5-10 minutes after every other subject.  It gives me time to do a chore while she's out.  After school we went with our friends to meet her sister and see their house - they have cows.  When I was invited, I thought we were going to stand behind the fence and see them up close.  No, we went inside the fence.  They were so big and so close and so loud.  I was outside my comfort zone, for sure!  I also got to see their setup for cats in their garage.  Kara's dream has been to get her very own cats for years now, and I think it can finally happen up on the mountain in our new house.  They will be outdoor cats that come in the GARAGE at night.  Not inside the house.

Wednesday we did more sixth grade.  I can't believe how quickly Kara is catching onto Spanish.  I am SO proud of her.  Best of all, she really loves it.  That's my girl!  Then we left for her new art class.  This is what they worked on:




Better than anything I could have done!  It was all about lighting, shadows, and shading.  Oh!  And Wednesday night I picked out my bathtub and tub faucet.  Still under budget!  Wahoo!  Here's what I picked:

Faucet with shower hose thing

Looking into the tub.  Nice and wide
for this woman whose frame is
nice and wide.  Ahem.

Pretty, huh.


Thursday we went to the doctor so Kara could meet him and not be a "new patient" anymore.  He prayed with her and she loved it as much as I did.  Then we came home to do a bit of school - like a half day - before we left for horse lessons.

On the way to horse lessons, we stopped by the house to check on where they mapped out the back patio will be.  Once I approved it, Kara and I played hide and seek since the guys went home early since it was raining.  Here are some of the updates:

I think you've seen this - the hearth is on
and looks awesome.  It just needs to
be cleaned.

The art work is done and up.
It looks PERFECT there!
Pssst.  Do you see my fridge and ovens
in the kitchen.  It makes me happy.  :-)

The front porch is done.  Did I show you the steps are
done too?  Look at my pretty girl.  She was climbing all
over the steps assuring me she wouldn't slip.



They primed and painted almost all of the
closets and this shelf.

I had to miss Kara's horse lesson because I had to go to the bank and get gas, so I just caught the tail end of it.  Let's see if I can get this video to upload:


Kara rode a new horse today - his name is Spanky and he was the cutest little thing - he's a pony!  I wasn't even afraid of him.  He is a very good boy and got along with Kara right away.  Here she is trotting on him, but she also learned lunging the horse.  Lunging is where you stand still and hold a leash and have the horse ride in circles around you.  It's important you do it the right way and always face the horse in just the right place so you keep control over the horse.  Anyway, she did great and next week she will canter on Spanky.  Oh!  MOM AND DAD:  All that scooter time has really helped Kara's balance - the instructor said it helped as much as riding a bike would have helped her.  So, I will be encouraging the scooter big time.

Tomorrow is Friday and I plan to finish the other half of school we started today then head to Huntsville to shop for more faucets.  I also need to run to Target and Hobby Lobby.  It's going to be a good day.  :-)

One last thing.  Do you remember how I wasn't feeling sure about the counter tops I picked for the kitchen?  Usually I'm a very decisive person and just making the decision keeps me calm and makes me feel better.  But I was so unsettled about those kitchen counters.  So, I thought about it for almost a week.  Then I changed my mind.  Why am I going to spend all that money on granite I don't even like?  My DREAM has always been to have marble counter tops in the kitchen.  At the warehouse, I learned marble and granite are the same price and heard that sealing the marble makes a big difference in the kitchen.  So, I called them and went for it.  I'm getting the marble I really want in the kitchen.  I am so excited I feel like I could cry.  I will have to baby it, for sure, but I'm fine with that.  My only concern is being annoying to guests because they'll have to baby it too.  I'll try to find a nice way to say it.  Meanwhile, I'm on cloud nine!

Comments

Unknown said…
So....by "baby it" what exactly do you mean?
jeday0323 said…
You should google "marble kitchen counter tops." Long story short, they etch and stain easily. And marble is soft - we aren't taking things straight out of the oven and putting them on the counter. We have to be careful with quickly wiping up (which I always do, but guests may not think about), I have to seal monthly, etc. But it's WORTH it to me because I have always wanted them!

They will be a DREAM to bake with. <3
Vicky said…
Loved all the photos from your hike! Stephanie had the same question I had about the counters. Love the "D" art work!