Explaining Marble Countertops

Since I got some questions about caring for my marble countertops, I thought I'd write about it.

From my years of watching HGTV, I knew marble countertops were my absolute favorite, but they were too delicate to be practical.  So, even though in a dream world I would have them, I just didn't have the guts to get them in Maryland when we re-did that kitchen.  Instead I put quartz in that looked like marble.  From the first time I saw them I thought it looked like a dot matrix printer printed a picture of marble.  From quite far away, they looked like marble, but I didn't really achieve my goal.  Well, they were indestructible, which was great, and were still pretty in their own right.

While picking out the counter tops for the new house, I decided to go for it and get marble.  I have been researching and going back and forth in my head for years now.  But since I've officially decided on them, I googled "marble kitchen countertops" and saw many people posting about what the big deal is.  First of all, we know marble is beautiful and timeless (it's in all the hundreds years old buildings).

But did you know it's difficult to take care of?  While it can stain, the biggest deal is that it etches.  This link was written by a woman with marble counter tops that shows pictures of what etching is:

http://www.lifeingraceblog.com/2013/04/living-with-marble-countertops-a-cautionary-tale/

Not only do acidic things (wine, tomato sauces, lemon, etc) cause the marble to etch, but even water does!  Of course, no one told me this when I put it all over my bathroom, but I still would have decided to install it anyway.

In addition to etching, I read that it scratches and chips easily.  No dragging something across the counter, even if you think it's perfectly smooth.

I will have to be incredibly careful with the way I cook, and especially the way I clean.  Drinks at the island will need coasters, etc.  But it's worth it to me.  I absolutely love the way they look.  (And as I was saying in my last post, I need to find a way to be polite to my guests without letting them trash my precious counters.  I read how most people took good care of their marble and it was their guests that ruined it.)

I also think it might help me get over the perfection of the way it will look when it is first installed.  As it ages, even if I'm super careful, it will end up with imperfections.  Maybe I'll just get over myself and still think they're beautiful.

I hope that answers your questions about marble.  Basically:
 * they're incredibly delicate, which is why people prefer granite, but incredibly beautiful
 * putting anything at all on them will cause damage.  lol.

Comments

Unknown said…
I do think they're gorgeous, but I had NO idea how delicate they were! Definitely not for me!!!!
Vicky said…
I picture you being someone who "cannot have marble" (her opinion) as I see this being you:
—ISTJ (duty fulfiller)- ISTJs usually have a great sense of space and function, and artistic appreciation. Their homes are likely to be tastefully furnished and immaculately maintained. They are acutely aware of their senses, and want to be in surroundings which fit their need for structure, order, and beauty.

I've never really been crazy about marble. I do think it is pretty, however! I don't think I would ever buy it. I'd be OK with it if someone GAVE it to me! :D
jeday0323 said…
I definitely hear what you're saying, Mom. That's why I didn't get it in Maryland and why I didn't pick it out initially. BUT, I just wasn't happy with anything else. I think if I go into this with my eyes wide open and know that it WILL etch and that's just part of it, I'll be okay. However, I do want to take as good care of it as I can!

I understand you aren't a big fan of marble - I remember we disagree on electric stove vs gas stove. I have been using an electric stove (flat top) in this rental house and hate it. Every single time I use it I hate it. But, it's a personal preference! Agree to disagree. :-)
Vicky said…
Oh, DEFINITELY! I'm not really disagreeing with you! You are a big girl and I know you will take good care of whatever you decide on! I was just surprised after reading about the care involved. I'm not willing to put that much effort into ANY cleaning, LOL! :D It is definitely a personal preference thing! To each their own, I always say! If we were all exactly alike, what a dull world we would live in, huh?! :D BUT, you have relaxed a LOT since 2002! So, its all good! Love you!
jeday0323 said…
Yep! That's exactly how I took it. :-) Love you!!